1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Im lost in Torrent world

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by ag22, Jan 8, 2005.

1. ag22

ag22 Regular member

Im so frigin pissed. Why wont my my dls exceed 14 kbps? My ports are open. My firewalls are turned off. I have tried 4 slinets (g3, bitcomet, bitlord, abc). People are complaiing of 100 kbps dls. I would give anything. Can some1 plz help me???

2. buraku

buraku Member

3. ag22

ag22 Regular member

This sux. Did all that shit.

Heres my setup:

Comcast cable, with 3mbps speeds. Netgear 100 MBPS router. XP Pro, SP2. Firewall is disabled, Symatric- disabled. Ports 6881-6889 are all open, and thats all.

5 minutes ago i was doing the happy dance in my room cuz Arrested Developments started DLing at 31 kbps. hooray :-(

4. wonder05

wonder05 Member

Have you forwarded the port(s) on your router? I had that same problem and forwarding the ports did the trick. Also, you may want to try Azureus (its a BT app). It probably won't help speeds any, but it will allow you to determine if there actually is a problem, or if you are just picking crappy torrents.

5. lcarbutt

lcarbutt Regular member

put higher port numbers, ISPs can be arseholes when it comes to standard torrent port numbers.

6. ag22

ag22 Regular member

I actually called Comcast and told them to open ports 6881-6889 but they said they were open. Ihave configured my network so those port #s are open, SP2 firelwall is off, and symatric is disabled.

THis is driving me nuts.Thanks for the help tho.

7. ag22

ag22 Regular member

Im gonna give Azerus a try.

I have DLed from isohunt, bfetorrent, and a couple others, all ranging between 0-20 kbps, but my first bfetorrent DL went at 40 kbps.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2005
  8. wonder05

wonder05 Member

azureus has a 'setup wizard' or somthing to that effect. Using it to set the port number you want to use will allow you to test the connection. If you get a NAT error, you're still being cut off at some point. If it says its OK, then you are just getting crappy torrents.

9. ag22

ag22 Regular member

With Azerus I tried 3 ports, and got all NAT errors. I turned XP firewall off. Symatric is dsiabled, and I have repeatedly 'opened' ports with Netgear. Onething that I found troubling was, when i type in my netgear default IP (192.168.0.3), it comes up with an error. However when I type in 192.168.0.1, which seems to be everyone elses default, it brings me to the page, and loads up normally.

10. wonder05

wonder05 Member

I have a netgear router as well (RP614v3). I had the same problem. Here's how I fixed it:

1) go to routerlogin.net (this is the control panel for the router - your adress may be different)

2) Under 'Maintainence,' click 'Attached Devices' (again, yours may be different, but it should be similar)

3) determine the IP adress of the PC you want to use (this should be pretty strait forward given the device name) and write it down

4) go back to the main page of your router

5) Under 'Advanced,' click 'Port Forwarding' (again, may be different)

6) under the 'SERVICES' pulldown menu, select anything - it doesnt matter as we'll be changing all the settings anyway

7) enter the IP address you wrote down in the space provided

8) click 'ADD'

9) Select the radio button to the side of the service you just enabled

10) click 'Edit Service' at the bottom of the screen

11) fill in the information requested - Service name (I'd use azureus or Bittorrent), starting and ending ports (if you plan on using azureus, they can be the same), and server IP adress - this should already match the IP you wrote down, but if not, fill it in.

12) click 'Accept' - this will return you to the main port forwarding page

13) click 'Apply' - a page saying 'Updating settings' should appear.

14) you're done. Try it out - it should work (assuming your router was the issue)

11. ag22

ag22 Regular member

Thanks for taking the time to post this but, I had actually completed these steps before yet it still says ports are closed.

12. wonder05

wonder05 Member

Hmm... thats a problem. By any chance do you have another PC on your LAN that you could try connecting to via that port? I wouldn't know off the top of my head how to do it, but if you did, it would tell you if the problem is your computer/router, or something external (eg your ISP). just a thought, however useless it may be.