1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm new at DVD burning - what's the difference between DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD+RW, and DVD-RW?

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by Raijin, Nov 24, 2003.

1. Raijin

Raijin Member

I noticed on the cover of the first dvd-r i tried to burn, it has on the cover,

"For use with dvd-rw/dvd-ram only"

I have no clue as to what this means, and recently i've seen posts with dvd(+)r and +rw in them. Does this + and - signs mean something important? Like, could it affect the probability of the game backup working?

._.?

Also, might as well put this in here to save forum space, the first DVD game i tried to burn was Chaos Legion. It appears to have copied successfully, onto a Memorex dvd-R.
    The box cover says it's a single sided disc, and it's version 2. Under the dvd symbol, it says r4.7 I'ts a 4.7GB CD, and the burn side is purple-blue. Is this a good CD to use? If so, I probably screwed up the burn process, but if not, I gotta know why. ^_^

2. antons

antons Member

Just go to www.dvdrhelp.com and read the articles...

3. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

Think of +R and -R as VHS and Betamax. They're not the same. Your ability to write on them depends on your DVD burner. If you bought one of the recent ones which can burn onto both +R and -R (it'll say on the burner), then you don't have to even think about it. Only point worth mentioning is that -R has slightly better compatibility with DVD players than +R. You should practice on RWs first because these are rewriteable and you can burn over your mistakes esp. when you first start burning.

4. Raijin

Raijin Member

Thanx for the link up and info. I didnt know the PS2 could read RW, so i'll definitely try that. My ps2 is kind of worn though, to the point where it no longer reads blue discs and ps1 black discs - though it still reads the mirror side/silver dvd's just fine. I already copied Chaos Legion to a dvd-r, but its a blue one, and it seems its trying to read (using swap magic), and it just doesnt load, though on a few occasions its given me the blue borders, and has gone to a black screen right afterwards, as if it was starting up. I figure its just the CD type, and I should try burning to a mirror dvd. For some reason, these dvd types are more easily read by the console. I dunno, gotta try. Anyhow, here's the direct link to the dvd help page. Took me quite a while to scrounge for it, but if anyone has the same question - http://www.dvdrhelp.com/dvd

5. pulsar

pulsar Active member

6. Raijin

Raijin Member

Okeedoke, new question.

I still haven't gotten around to getting discs, but I thought up something new.

My PS2 is one of the first editions from 2001.
    It's code is SCPH: 30001

Can the 30001 series play burned dvd games on the following formats, (if you have burned succesfully and can play on this model ps2, reply plz)...

DVD-R
    DVD-RW
    DVD+R
    DVD+RW
    DVD-RAM
    DVD+RAM

I tried two copied of Chaos Legion on DVD-R, and no success was found, but I don't know if that's because my PS2 is so worn it no longer plays blue disc or black disc games, or it's because the disc type is not going to work for this model PS2? (dvd-r was purple disc)

I am planning on getting a pack of DVD-RW's a bit later, but won't open the box until I get verification that DVD-RW works on my model PS2.
    Also, if there is a better alternative, like DVD-RAM or something, add that too. Thanks for your help in advance!

PS- Has anybody been able to burn a blue disc game, to a dvd disc, or can that not work right? Just wanted to know, cuz my ps2 ain't reading blue disc, but reads dvd discs fine. Thought I may be able to transfer some blue disc games to dvd to play them.

7. {TKO}

{TKO} Regular member

just a quick comment.....my PS2 had trouble reading blue disks and PS1 blacks also....if it gives you a disk read error, the solution may be simple...when i opened mine up to investigate....i noticed that the screws holding the drive cover were easy to take off...so when i tightened them up, the problem went away...kinda....it reads slower...you know how the games will go from the PS2 start-up to the PS2 logo...well mine goes to the browser for about 10 seconds then goes to the PS2 logo....hope this helps and sorry for intruding
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]-One Love-Seek God-
    "You are not educated as long as you have prejudices against anyone for any reason other than his or her character." - Martin Luther King Jr.
    [​IMG][/small]

Last edited: Jan 16, 2004
  8. Raijin

Raijin Member

Ah. I've opened my ps2 many times for cleaning. I have that problem too - it loads DVD games only, and when it does, it takes an extra 10-20 seconds to boot them as well. Still not sure about the copyin' bit though.