1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm new to this and getting terribly confused....

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by liebs, Oct 13, 2004.

1. liebs

liebs Member

Please could you assist me, I am new to dvd-ripping/burning etc. and although I have searched for answers, I'm finding it very difficult to get the hang of this. Bear with me as I explain.
    I am using the following software with the aim of being able to back-up copies of my favourite DVD's to be played on my dvd-player and/or pc.
    *Software I am using*
    DVD Encrypter
    DVD Shrink
    NERO 6

*My problem*
    I am able to back-up a working copy to dvd..however a friend at work told me I am doing it all wrong !
    See what I do is back-up in file version to my hard drive, which leaves me with files like xxx.BUP & xxx.IFO in the directory of my choice. It seems to be working for me when copying to a dvd that I watch on my home player, but my colleague tells me i should be saving as .ISO files.

Can somebody tell me if there is any difference between what I'm currently doing and what I've been told to do. I experimented saving the files to my HDD as ISO's but all I ended up with was 1 file called UNZIPPED.ISO which wouldnt even play in nero showtime or powerdvd,which led me to believe I'd made a mistake.

Also, if I decide to go the .ISO route, must I decrypt the disc (using DVD DECRYPTER) as an ISO, or just when I use shrink?

I really appreciate any info you could pass my way, as this is turning out to be way too confusing for me.

Thanks
    Mark

2. mccoy5

mccoy5 Member

If you are using dvd shrink & nero, you don't have to copy to your hard drive. Shrink will decode and shrink the dvd, it will then burn it straight to disc using nero if it set up correct. Chek out the guides page, it is full of very useful info

3. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

A) Your colleague doesn't know what he/she is talking about.

B) Ask your colleague why you should change your methods when they work perfectly fine. Did he/she say why you should use ISO over File mode?

File and ISO are simply two different ways of getting the same result. If you're having success using File mode there's absolutely no reason to use ISO mode.

You've your colleague to thank for that. Just stick with what works for you :)

4. Nephilim

Yes you do :)

5. liebs

liebs Member

ok, so i do I have to burn to drive or not?

6. Nephilim

Shrink always places the files on the hard drive before it allows Nero to burn.

Just stick with the methods that have worked for you and you'll be fine :)

7. liebs

liebs Member

Thanks to all who responded....much appreciated

8. colw

colw Active member

mccoy5's advice was incorrect.

Stick with Nephilim's advice.

9. mccoy5

mccoy5 Member

Yes sorry about that, it shows how long it is since i last used shrink!