1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm ready to chuck the thing out.....I've had enough

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by stevo5000, Feb 4, 2005.

1. stevo5000

stevo5000 Member

Does anyone know why burning on my machine is so hit and miss?

The machine is a 2.8G Celeron Compaq Desktop.

I started with a Lite On 811s, full UTD Firmware, then suddenly one day, the last 25% of every DVD was skipping and jumping. So I tried a variety of media, the best I could get a result was burning DVD+RW ONLY, at 2.4x with a success rate of about 50%. And created about 30-40 coasters trying other media.

So I decided the drive was duff, so binned the old one and set about buying a new drive. (Maybe a mistake buying another Lite On), but purchased a Lite On 1653s, last week.

First 15 discs. Fine, no problems. Now the same is happening. Slightly higher success rate I have to admit, however and still getting burning errors with a variety of media, again all in the last 25% of the disc. Tried the media - Plenty of it too (I have 7 spindles of various DVD media to play with!), doesnt seem to be that. Tried burning using Nero, DVD Decrypter, Alcohol 120%, same results. Tried burning after full reboot and nothing else running. Nope. The data is fine, I double check that. I think Im starting to go mad.

It seems to go in phases, lots all burn fine, then suddenly lots of places to keep my coffee cup. Then back to stage one again.

Oh, I also tried restoring the computer to factory condition. Well, I wouldnt be posting if that worked!

Any help would be more appreciated than you can possibly imagine. Before I lose it completely.

Many thanks in advance

Stevo5000

2. squizzle

squizzle Active member

That's tough dude. I would compatibility between the player and the media, but you said your first 15 or so were ok. Have you tried other players? If they don't play right in the same drive you burned them with, then I'd blame it on the burner. Other than that, I don't think it would be the burner. Do you have programs running in the background while ripping/encoding/burning? If so, disable them. Don't multitask, other than that, I'm out of ideas. Good luck. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

3. LivnDGirl

LivnDGirl Regular member

It could be that one of your computer's components is about to completely fail.

For 2 months my pc at work was acting flaky...first programs started misbehaving, crashing, so on and then the blue screens started at boot up.

Long story short...RAM went bad -- corrupt data galore before it's death.

Check out the health of the pc hardware and suspect RAM first in my experience.

4. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

Also, make sure you have a lot of HD space, plus defrag. your HD often.