1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm really stuck-help me if you can-happy new year!!

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Nick45, Dec 31, 2004.

1. Nick45

Nick45 Member

Analaysing and Encoding stage using Shrink fit 3.2 and my computer keeps crashing. Says its a 'serious error' and then proceeds to shut down . I have managed to burn 2 DVDs so far-but now this. I have read some earlier threads that seem to suggest that it might be a heat problem. I have been outside in the snow and tried to encode and problem still occurs. This is like an itch I can't scratch- please help me. Oh by the way I'm using a CompacQ 2.8 celeron, 40 GB- 512 Laptop . Any ideas.

2. Hallywood

Hallywood Regular member

Hey Nick,
    Are you running any other apps while trying your backups?
    HW.

3. Nick45

Nick45 Member

NO, not that I'm aware of. -But I'll check when I do I again. I'm obviously using Shrink fit and my DVD drive. Thanks for your advice

4. colw

colw Active member

How much free hard disk space do you have available?

8 to 10GB free space advisable.

5. Nick45

Nick45 Member

About 31 gig. My hard drive holds 40 altogether and each time I set up an iso image it takes up between 3-4.5 extra gig space.

6. colw

colw Active member

Ok - that sounds fine - just checking.

Is your burner internal or external and if external are you using USB2?

Just trying to rule out some possibilities - other than heat, shutdown problems can be related to sypware - do you have up to date virus and spyware programs installed?

7. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

...having a screen-saver going can be a problem for some users too [just another thing to check for] ; )

8. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

Apart from trying to solve the problem with Shrink, have you used other alternatives (e.g. Nero + DVD43)?

9. Nick45

Nick45 Member

O.K
    To answer the first question. Its is an internal DVD writer-only using R+. Secondly its not connected to the internet. It use to have Norton antivirus but that ran out months ago. However I could install another Norton antivirus and at least scan for any spyware viruses. Just another thing I tried to encode again and the laptop was very hot indeed+---I also checked the cpu processing using alt control and delete and it was 100 all the time. But thank you for all your support. I'll do what you suggested.

10. Nick45

Nick45 Member

O.K
    I've checked for viruses .There ar'nt any at all. I've tried encoding again its happening straight away now. Even in the analyses. I will try to use some other ripping software like DVD423 as suggested. It might be my nero I'm using it's not nero 6. But How come I was able to burn 2 dvd's successfully at first. I don't know areal mystery. Any further suggestions.

11. Nick45

Nick45 Member

O.K its me again.
    Success I think. I'm posting this cos it might be helpful for other people. Giving up on Shrink I downloaded DVD decrypter and DVD43. I sucessfully decrypted advd-No crashes yet. Then I proceeded to encode -no problem. Then it crashed when i tried to burn with Nero.
    So being smarter this time I decrypoted with DVD encrypter. Then encoded with Shrink and then I burnt with DVD encrypter. And Wham!! it worked.
    Now my theory is this. The problem can only be an incompatibility between Nero and Shrink. I checked my nero and it was Nero Express-not Nero 6 as i supposed it was. Its the only logical explanation for the serious error problem and the crashes.
    Anyway i hope this is useful for anyone to know. Basically that shrink fit doesn't work with all burners.
    By the way what does DVD43 do! I've downloaded it and i don't know what to do with it?
    I liked to thank all the afterdawn helpers. Cheers your'e doing afine job.

12. Hallywood

Hallywood Regular member

Hey Nick,
    Glad to hear about your success. Sometimes it takes a little trial and error to weed out the problems. Good work.
    HW.

13. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

Congratulations!
    What DVD43 does is to get rid of the region code and CSS protection of DVDs. Once installed, it works completely in the background and you don't have to worry about a thing. For example, if you want to watch a DVD with a different region code, you just have to insert it like nothing. Nero and many burning programs do not themselves rip. But with DVD43 handling the ripping part, they just treat the DVDs as without region code nor CSS protection. However, as with other programs, DVD43 appears not to work for everybody (it works 100% for me, tho'). You may visit the website to check out more details for yourself.
    There are currently two FREE versions of DVD43 available, one is 1.4 (the old version which I've been using), and 3.04. For 1.4, you need to install a Patin-Couffin layer for the program to operate.
    You may also type DVD43 at the search engine of this forum to find out more about how it works or does not work.