1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

i'm scurrrred...my comp is makin funny noises

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by {TKO}, Dec 3, 2003.

1. {TKO}

{TKO} Regular member

well like i said brotha, i have started it up about 5 times, i have reboot like 4 times and nothin has happened, it's been like 4 days and judging by it's activity before, it would have done it by now.....thanx for all the help guys...i'll keep ya posted

2. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

I say its just gremlins.

3. {TKO}

{TKO} Regular member

ok.....the gremlins are back....new development in the quest to answer why.....the noise started up again...this time it was after i deleted some user accounts that i had created like a month ago and weren't working quite right...when the other people would log in, it would say blah blah blah cannot install, and certain programs wouldn't open, like the netzero would say that the users had to input all the registration info again.....so anyways...i deleted the accounts ad then rebooted.....and dum-dum dum-dum...the gremlins are back....they were gone for a long time....so i then used my nifty little go back...and when i reverted back to the set-up with the user accounts...the gremlins have gone into hiding.....does this ring any bells with any1?......thanx in advance and sorry to those annoyed by this on going fiasco.......

4. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

1. If you are comfortable rip your comp apart to pieces, clean everything and put it back together

2. Format the crap out of everything and install everything again

3. Deleting user accounts wont make excessive noises unless you somehow delete the account you are on.

4. Are you sure these noises are excessive? Or is ur hearing just a tad acute? ;-)

5. Check your PSU fan -- bet ya didnt do that last time.

5. jonss

jonss Guest

FWIW, I had this problem a while back. The problem was my 3 1/2 inch floppy drive thrashing. I traced the problem to Norton Anti-Virus anomolous code. Try disabling your floppy in bios and if possible remove it. This corrected my problem and from the sounds of it, you may be experiencing the same bug.

6. {TKO}

{TKO} Regular member

remove it and leave it off....or can i replace it?

7. jonss

jonss Guest

No don't remove it from the box, disable the 3 1/2 inch floppy in the bios and then, go to My Computer, right click it and go to properties, then disable it in all configurations. Also in the bios settings disable 'boot up floppy seek'. Dunno about you but I would use my 3 1/2 drive every second pancake tuesday when it falls on a blue moon. Whenever you need to use it just re-enable it. Did you check to see if the floppy is in fact the problem? From the description you give in your original post it sure sounds like it to me. Norton is legendary for causing this kind of behaviour. While you're in the bios settings, have a looksee as to what configs are set for your 'first, second, third and fourth boot devices'. FWIW, my settings are 1) HDD 0{C:} 2) CD-ROM 3)Floppy and 4)HDD 1 {D:} You can set the floppy to 'disable' or 'none' in my bios settings so I'm assuming you will be able to as well. Let us know is this fixes the problem.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2004