1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

i'm using DVDShrink 3.2 ...DVD2One, DVDXCopy?

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by xxONExx, Nov 25, 2004.

1. xxONExx

xxONExx Guest

hi there =) dvdshrink is a great free program. but when i start the shrinking process, my CPU processor sky rockets to 100% .i know it's normal and i have a hugh cooling fan on it, but it just scares me all the time.

i've heard around in these forum that DVD2One and DVDCopy are best to use too.

***my question is that when you shrink with DVD2One or DVDCopy, will your CPU processor go to 100percent ? i'm just looking for a program that won't go to 100% when i shrink =(

your inputs will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2004
  2. zippyd

zippyd Regular member

In Shrink, there is an option that you can enable that might help with your concerns.

Open Shrink, select edit-preferences, and tick the box that says "run analysis and backup in low priority mode to improve multitasking"

Now I would never approve of multitasking while doing a backup, but this should keep your pc from spiking to 100%. I've never used this option, but I'm guessing it's going to make your processing times a little longer.

I don't use the other programs you've mentioned, but I personally would stay away from Xcopy since support is hard to come by since they went belly up.

3. Agent0008

Agent0008 Regular member

I'm running shrink right now and my CPU usage varies between 45 to 50%

Pentium 4 2.6 GHz

4. kchev

kchev Regular member

i wouldn't recommend doing anything with your computer during encoding or burning of dvd's
    unless you like freezing or pixelation during playback

even a Pentium 3.2 can experience the above problems from usage during encoding and burning

dvd encoding and burning requires ALOT of cpu usage and the smallest hang up that you don't even notice will show up on your new backup

i used to use dvd2one for a long time until i tried shrink
    i have experienced a couple movie that dvd2one just couldn't do
    i have never had a disc that shrink couldn't do yet

you gotta pay to play and that is just something to deal with if you want to back up movies :)

5. Agent0008

Agent0008 Regular member

Could this be due to using and on board graphic's as compared to a intergrated graphic's card????

I run 1.5 gig of ram on the motherboard with a seperate graphic's card that has 256 MB of ram.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2004
  6. xxONExx

xxONExx Guest

thanks for your input guys. yeah zippyd that box was tick by default... but same thing.

does anyone know if DVD2One or DVDXCopy will make your CPU processor go up to 100% ???

7. Furd

Furd Member

Xcopy Xpress maxes out my P4 HT 2.8 GHz, as does Shrink. I think pretty much any transcoding program will. If you don't get heat related errors/freezes when Shrink is running I wouldn't worry about it.

Some diagnostic programs can read the thermal status of your processor. Check on your computer and see if you have such a diagnostic - if you do, run it and see if the thermal state is normal next backup you do.

Good Luck!!

ff

8. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

That "buffer" that you watch that shows your processor "Bouncing" around is our safety. Nothing "bad" will happen to your PC running 100%. It's not like a car engine that might "blow up", our "baby's" can take it -

Your processor can do that all day long as long as you give it good air flow. The buffer keeps it from being "pounded" as data is being processed from 10% to 100%. As everyone here has said, the two things that are truly processor intensive are encoding and burning DVDs. Pple working with CD's don't experience anything like we do." We are the "Kings" !

Now, strut around with your head high as true "kings" should while our Pentiums work their little hearts out – We are DVD Burners ! ! ! We are the Kings ! ! !

Cheers,

Pete

Last edited: Dec 1, 2004
  9. xxONExx

xxONExx Guest

LOL scubapete!!! that was indeed very helpful =D

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2004
  10. dvdx

dvdx Member

I had the same problem with my CPU Usage using DVD Shrink but overcame this by going to the Task Manager and selecting the DVD Shrink exe file, then setting the Processor Affinity to only one checked box. This reduces the process to half its original usage on the CPU. Hope this helps