1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ima dork..how do I know if I have a DVD burner?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by bianaca29, Jan 13, 2007.

1. bianaca29

bianaca29 Member

I have copied and burned so many cd's..I have a toshiba satelite notebook and I wish to burn movies onto DVD's.Everything seems to go pretty smooth and then I burn the DVD but when I put it into My DVD player it has all these lil subfile thingys coming up but no movie.What am I doing wrong.I use bittorents to download the movies and I can even watch some of them through my media player.But when I burn them using alcohol or express burn nothing shows up on the DVD.Is it really this complicated.Ima dork I know this but how hard can it be right? =(

2. larrylje

larrylje Active member

It depends on what type of Torrent that you download. You can download movie torrents that are in different forms (ISO/IMG/AVI/VIDEO_TS AUDIO_TS folder etc. etc.)

In order to help you out we will need to know what the extension of the file is that you have downloaded.

You can find out what file extension it is by going to the folder the file is in and follow the directions below when you are in that folder...

Go to the top of the window and click Tools/Folder Options/Click on View Tab now uncheck the box that says (Hide extensions of known file types) After you unchecked that box click Apply then OK to close the Options window and you should now see the extension of the file. (The extension is the 3 letters after the file name ExampleFileName.EXT)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. bianaca29

bianaca29 Member

Ok I Done exactly what the demo showed me to do..the ext is as follows....snakes.on.a.plane[2006]DvDrip[ENG]-axxo.avi

I have used alcohol and nero but the file doesnt show up tp even burn.However I did get in the express burn but Like I put in the original post when I put it in my Dvd player it only showed subfolders and no movie.The box to my notebook says I have the ability to burn dvd's but nothing is going my way =(

4. zeiram

zeiram Guest

you can play the file on your notebook but will need to convert it to mpeg2 before your dvd burner , if you have one will reconized the file as being in the right format for dvd burning.

Try using convert x to dvd as a converter.You can find it in the software section under dvd-r tools

5. dialysis1

dialysis1 Regular member

This download may be a fake. Be careful. You can read about it here.
    MPAA Caught Uploading Fake Torrents
    http://torrentfreak.com/mpaa-caught-uploading-fake-torrents/

6. larrylje

larrylje Active member

As zeiram has suggested I would also suggest for you to use ConvertXTODvd. The trial version will leave a watermark on the video but well worth the price for the program if you will be converting allot of AVI files to DVD format. Below is a link to a guide for ConvertXTODvd...

http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/vso_convertxtodvd_guide.cfm

You can also use Nero Vision Express to convert the AVI file to DVD format below is another guide on how to use Nero Vision Express to do this...

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/272946

But ConvertXToDVD in my opinion is the better of the 2 programs.

As to what dialysis1 has said about the file being fake. This can be true for any torrent file you download. To lower that risk it is suggested to use private torrent sites rather then public torrent sites. They tend to be safer to download from and usually do not have fakes and are monitored closer to pull fakes off the site.

To even be safer yet it is also suggested to run an IP blocker like Peer Guardian to block known MPAA/RIAA and other government IPs from connecting to you. It will update an IP filter everyday/every other day to keep up to date with known IP from anti-piracy IPs.

You should also disable DHT in your download client. Most private sites don't allow DHT anyway so this should not effect you much if you disable it.

Nothing is 100% safe (except for not using torrents all together) but following those 3 rules (Go to private torrent trackers/Use an IP blocker like peer guardian/Turn off DHT in your torrent client) should make it allot more safer to use torrent file sharing.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2007