1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Image Contrast Ratio: 1200:1

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by sanecrazy, Jan 1, 2007.

1. sanecrazy

sanecrazy Regular member

2. dabig25

dabig25 Regular member

Sharp makes great LCD TV's........

3. sanecrazy

sanecrazy Regular member

but what about the 1200:1 contrast?

4. kg2

kg2 Member

from what i understand, you want to make sure that your contrast ratio is above 1000:1. Most LCD TVs will range from 1000 - 4000:1. However, since there is no inter-company standardization you have to take this ratio with a grain of salt. i think that it's helpful when comparing TVs all from one company, but it may be misleading to compare other companies' TVs (like the ones that advertise LCDs with 10,000:1 contrast ratios).

Bottom line, 1000:1 is usually considered average, with supposedly most people noting a difference as you trend below this number. at least with samsung TVs you can improve the darkness of your black coloration by maximizing the energy-saving feature; i don't know if this works with other tvs.

good luck.

5. sanecrazy

sanecrazy Regular member

thanks that was olot of help i think youve swung me in the direction of this TV

Thanks alot ;)

6. P2P2P

P2P2P Member

I have a Samsung 32" LCD which has a contrast ratio of 5000:1 but their latest goes up to 10000:1
    The best thing to do is test drive them in a dept store that offer 4 or 5 brands and compare them yourself. I wanted a SONY but the samsung picture side by side was simply better so I went with that.

With the contrast ratio what you looking for is how black the screen can go. With an LCD the tv is basically a bulb and as the LCD pixels change (and block the bulb) they produce a picture. Obviously the bulb produces pure white light and the contrast measurement is it's opposite i.e. Black. With low contrast ratios what's supposed to be black is more of a shiney grey. The best way to check the quality is to play a DVD that's in 'letterbox format', and the black bars at the top and bottom of the screen should give a good indication of the contrast that particular tv is capable of.

Hope this helps.

7. dabig25

dabig25 Regular member

Good suggestion about watching a DVD in letterbox format. That's also a great way to adjust your contrast, brightness, or picture settings.

8. P2P2P

P2P2P Member

9. dabig25

dabig25 Regular member

Yeah

I've seen that Brian Cooley video before. He used to come on the radio here, in the bay area & talk about new things coming out. Also would answer peoples questions about electronics & PC's.

Here's what I used, after I got my TV set home , out of the box & turned it on.

I used David Katzmaier preferences for picture setttings, for my Sony KDS 55A2000............
    Made a big difference, from the factory settings.
    http://help.cnet.com/sony/9602-12576_39-0.html?messageID=2506536&tag=tip-2506536&kw=sony+

Last edited: Jan 4, 2007
  10. sanecrazy

sanecrazy Regular member

went to get it but they didnt have a delivery!! arrghhh!! But 1 thing i noticed on the TV it had 2 contrast ratings. One said 6000:1 and the other was 1200:1 i cant remember what they were each called now anyone know what the difference may be??

11. P2P2P

P2P2P Member

Looks good dabig25, not my tv but I can figure it out. It's great to have customizable modes for different lighting conditions.

Sanecrazy, the 6000:1 is the contrast ratio. Not sure what the other refers to. I'm going to assume it was a spec drawn up by the store and not part of the official documentation. The only thing I can think of is my set has 12.8 billion colors (1200:1). If it was printed/written by the store it's just someone with a serious problem with decimals.

12. sanecrazy

sanecrazy Regular member

had anouther look at the TV and didnt like it!! I asked the store guy to put on a dvd for me and the picture quality wasnt good at all i dont understand why. It had the appearance of like a rear projection TV. The faces on the tv had a fuzzy blurry afect around them and the colurs wernt vivid at all. Im gutted i gotta start all over again looking now.

Do you think 1080p is completly necercery or would 720p do?

13. OCDgamer

OCDgamer Member

I'm going to buy a Sharp AQUOS LC-32D40U 32" LCD soon (I think) and the contrast ratio is 1200:1. I was wondering if I'm playing 360 or PS3 on it; will the color be vivid enough to really enjoy my games, or will it be too bleak? I am buying this TV solely for gaming so I want it to look
    good, lol.

14. dabig25

dabig25 Regular member

Not sure, but Sharp does make good LCD's.