1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Imation dvd+r media 2.4x, what do you think about it??

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by Jdilla, Jan 20, 2004.

1. Jdilla

Jdilla Regular member

i checked with dvdrhelp.com and there were two manufactures for this media, one being ricohjpn, and the other being cmc mag, ive heard bad stuff about cmc mag, have burn some movies and games under this manufacture w/memorex media and no problems. and have never had a coaster using memorex manufactured by ricoh, so i didnt see no problem on why i should buy this 50pk for 50dollars, the sale is on bestbuy. both type -r/+r media. just wanted to know if any of you have bought this media before and how has it work with playstation2 backups and dvd backups, dvd player compatability, etc, etc.. if you have the info let me know whats the 411 on this media. peace

2. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

I wouldn't buy the Imation. Read about alot of problems with this media, even though I like media with RICOHJPN label like Memorex and Fuji. BestBuy has the Memorex 50-pack 4X on sale last for $50, and unless you need them right away, they are bound to have more sales soon. Media prices are falling. Staples had a good deal for 25-pack 4X for $25 but they ran out. You might want to check again. http://www.staples.com/products/SpotLights/040118/511133/Default.asp

3. jay33

jay33 Regular member

I'm not a big fan of RICOHJPN discs for PS2 backups. I bought some o fthese under the Memorex label and several PS2 games came out with audio and FMV skipping. They seemed to work better for movies. I'm actually using some Princo media I gor for 20 cents each and all are burning/playing flawlessly....very pleased with these.

As for Imation, I have used several Imation discs and haven't had a problem thus far. I see no reason to shy away from them, since other brands use th esame manufacturers.

4. Jdilla

Jdilla Regular member

im happy to report that i received my 50pk for $50 dollars from bestbuy.com today. wasted no time and backed up "once upon a time in mexico" and it works flawless in 3 different dvd players. checked with dvd identifier and the imation disk are manufacture by "cmc mag" have had bought some memorex +r disk that were manufacture by the same cmc mag manufacture and havent had a coaster yet, the only bad thing is that they are 2.4x.

5. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

It is worth to note that because they are manufactured by the same company, they generally are not of the same quality. For instance, Datasafe Ritek discs are manufactured using the Ritek G04 dye, well a lot of them are. This will not compare in terms of quality to a Clone Disc or Traxdata/RiDATA disc.

I personally am not a fan of Imation, i have used a few before and found them to be ok. However, on a closer anlaysis i found them to re-read at virtually every chapter on the disc, whereas a quality Ritek disc may only need to do this once or twice. Re-reading is not a problem per-say, however, the more times a disc is read, the less life can be expected from it. If a disc has to be read 5-10 times on a chapter change, thats 5-10 times more usage and the equivalent percentage of life is wasted. Expect disc life to be around 1,000 Reads or so per sector. There we begin to see the problem :-D

6. jay33

jay33 Regular member

I don't buy that theory.

7. Jdilla

Jdilla Regular member

i dont buy that either. i personally didnt see that "re-reading at every chapter" when i saw my back up of once upon a time in mexico, it play smoothly thru out the whole movie. besides who cares if it re-reads, isnt disc life estimated at 100years anyways. and a human being will problaby see the same movie maybe 3-4 times in a lifetime tops.

8. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Its not really relevant about the years. The years are estimated by teh average user re-reading. Therefore if a disc is being re-read 10x more than another, suffice to say it will be 10x less in terms of life expectancy. Anyway, its all in teh dark with DVD media, no one is overly sure about the estimate of life expectancy.

9. Jdilla

Jdilla Regular member

im happy to say that imation dvd+r 2.4x blank media works great! ive tried it in both dvd back-ups and today i backed up "splinter cell" for ps2, and works marvelous, not a complain about imation yet >fingers cross< both back ups worked great even with tdk labels on them!!

10. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

On a follow-up note, its not a problem you would notice while playing a disc. Try running it through DVD Speed or DVD Info and you will see what i mean :D

11. Jdilla

Jdilla Regular member

if its not a visual-playback problem, than what else can you call a "problem"/ i really dont understand what point you are trying to make. ive scaned it with dvd identifier, and the manufactuer is cmc mag, you may not like it, but i havent had a problem with these disks yet. ok so what if it burns at 2.4x, im in no hurry/

12. askyew

askyew Regular member

the tdk dvd+r 25 pack went on sale today at best buy for 25 usd.

this is the only media that I have used and it seems to be good quality. Has anyone had problems with TDK?

13. Jdilla

Jdilla Regular member

askjew, i saw the special too, as soon as i saw it, i placed my order. tdk is a good reliable media, and its 4x too.

14. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

You seem to keep missing the point. A disc that needs re-read a number of times at certain sectors, usually chapter points, reduces the life span of the disc. It has nothing to do with DVD identifier and who the manufacturer is, its to do with transfer speed tests and RPM checks. Thats my point, whether you 'buy' it or not.

15. jay33

jay33 Regular member

I don't see where re-reading some sectors on a disc will shorten it's lifespan.

16. jay33

jay33 Regular member

I have a wiggles DVD I copied for my daughter and it has been played 600-700 times, easily. It's on a cheap-o DVD-r (CMC-MAG) and it plays just the same now as it did the first time.

When my daughter was so only about 10 months old I use to put it in here bedroom DVD player and hit repeat and it would run all day. With it only being 40 minutes long it would play several times per day. She's now almost 19 months old and is watching that very DVD-r as I type.

17. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Jay - what are two of the reasons a discs life are affected?

1. Organic Dye is used, has a life span.
    2. The laser reading the disc.

Therefore if a laser keeps reading the same spot it will eventually lead to a reduction in the overall lifespan.

18. jay33

jay33 Regular member

I'm aware that the dye breaks down slowly over years and years due to enviornemntal conditions, but I've never really heard much about excessive usage ruining a dvdr quickly. Like I said, I have a cheap-o dvdr that has hundreds of plays logged and still plays fine. All I can go by is my own proven experience.

Are you saying that a disc that is re-read more often would wear out after X number of plays, regardless of the length of time? I guess I don't buy that.

19. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Contact Conrexx.com, who are the distributors of Ritek, and ask them yourself.

20. Jdilla

Jdilla Regular member

i have some comments to say about "imation dvd+r 2.4x media". dont get me wrong most of the burns that ive done using this media works fine, plays very well in alot of different dvdplayers. but as far as backing up ps2 games using imation, im having second thoughts, it worked good when i backed up 3 games, "prince of persia" "nfl street" and "splinter cell" but when i backed up "need for speed underground" ive encountered my first problem with the media. apparently need for speed is very high on graphics, and since the cars move so quick, the background images are constantly changing, and thats where the problem comes in. theres times that im left riding in the air.. meaning the Pavement takes a lil' bit of time to load, so does the background.*like building, walls, signs..im definetly think its the media, since ive backed up "type-R racing" and "midnight club 2" using memorex and have not had this problem. since my tdk 420n is a +r/+rw burner the slowest it can burn is at 2.4x.. dont think its the speed of my burner that is causing the malfunction because its not.. over 30+ games ive burned using 2.4x speed and none of them have given me problems.. except(need for speed underground. & manhunt)