1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ImgBurn installer installs OpenCandy (adware)

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by PhredP, Mar 15, 2011.

1. PhredP

PhredP Member

Just be aware - if you download and install ImgBurn, you may be installing a notorious piece of adware/spyware called "OpenCandy". This in itself may not be enough reason for you to choose not to install ImgBurn, but you should at least know what else comes with it.

2. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

Where did you download it from? it wasn't from Afterdawn or the official IMGburn homepage.

3. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

it doesn't come with it.. imgburn does NOT contain any adware or other garbage.. more likely you got it from somewhere else..

why don't people download legit freeware from legit places instead of off the scammers and pirates?

4. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

Actually it seems that PhredP is right, ImgBurn nowadays contains OpenCandy greyware, but it is an optional element in the installer, i.e. it suggests you to install the toolbar, but you can tick that selection off and get ImgBurn only. So, nothing dramatic really, author just trying to make some extra money if people want to install the toolbar. If not, it wont install it.

Then again, majority of freeware tools seem to do that nowadays -- I consider those "adware" that force you to install toolbars, etc and not those that offer those as an optional extra.

5. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

Good to know. And i agree, i assumed it was forced on the original poster and not an option during install.

6. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

shows how long it is since I went near a windoze install.. anyway.. it's optional.. I say lets have some freeware with real nasty spyware as an "option" not to accept .. to teach people to READ the installer instead of next next next like sheep eh?

why bother anyhow.. I generally prefer older versions of things http://www.oldversion.com/ImgBurn.html