1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Important question-DON"T WANT TO DO SOMETHING STUPID...Plz advise

Discussion in 'Sony PSP - Mod and firmware discussion' started by PetahG, Jun 16, 2007.

1. PetahG

PetahG Guest

Hi
    I just bought a psp v1.5, obviously for the purpose of homebrew.
    I managed to put some simple NES games on it and play them but now I would like to try to plas the new games (ISO)...
    I have couple questions that many sites just don't answer clearly.
    Answer which ever want or all of them.

1. My v1.5 does not have wifi right now, will I be able to go on it without upgrading aloosing teh homebrew ability?
    2. Should I download 3.4 OE-A if I want to run devhook
    3. Do I really need devhook to run isos on my psp
    4. Do I really need a UMD when Im downloading or running devhook? I really dont want to buy one
    5. If I upgrade to 3.4 OE-A will I get wifi and teh ability to change my theme or background or set my photos as background but still be able to play homebrew?
    6. What do I need to do so I can browse th einternet on my version 1.5
    7. Will devhook run if I have 3.4 OE-A
    8. Are there any other methods to run homebrew without using devhook?
    9. What is a program called "EBOOT" used for?
    10. If I upgrade to 3.4 OE-A will I be able to delete it and stay at v1.5?

Well taht's about all my questions. If you want to answer some of them thats fine, any help is appreciated. If you just want to tell me generally what I shoudl do in what order athst fine too. I alreday have all the iso and i can easily get the programs I just need some kind of direction as what to do next.
    Thnx in advance

2. mrmcman

mrmcman Guest

answers:
    1. yes, if u upgrade to a custom firmware.
    2. no, u should download 3.40 oe-a for the ability to run ISO's, PSP UMD's, and homebrew all at the same time.
    3. no u do not need devhook to run ISO's. a custom firmware (like 3.40 oe-a) is its own iso loader.
    4. no u wont. However, u will need a umd, only 1 though, to run an iso. that is how an iso works. it tricks the psp into thinking the game u are loading is coming from the umd, but it is actually coming from the memory stick.
    5. plain and simply, yes.
    6. u cant, upgrade to custom firmware and u will have every feature of 3.40 with homebrew like 1.50.
    7. yes it will run, but u wont need it.
    8. custom firmware is way easier to install than devhook, and is pretty much the same: homebrew with psp games, and iso's.
    9. EBOOT is just the file firmat ur game is in.
    10. 3.40 oe-a is a firmware version, so there is no way to delete it. however, u can, at any point in time, recover to 1.50 in case of a brick, if u download the recovery package.

3. PetahG

PetahG Guest

Thank You so much mrmcman
    You've made my life so much easier...I don't know how to thank you
    Have a good day
    Petah G
    I might post my results on how it went and if I have any more questions later and tell you.
    BUt once again thnx a lot.

4. mrmcman

mrmcman Guest

not a problem, i enjoy AfterDawning lol. it is always satisfiying knowing i helped somebody :)

5. rsrepp

rsrepp Regular member

So true Mrmcman, but it can get very annoying when people ask the same questions day after day after day. Its like Deja vu.

6. mrmcman

mrmcman Guest

lol yeah, but at least itll eventually boost ur ranking...

7. PetahG

PetahG Guest

OH...I have another question
    I did exactly what it said to do to instal the 3.4 OE-A version..BUt when it starts to instal it shuts off the psp and when I turn it back on nothing has happened...any ideas whats going on?

Here are the instalation instructiosn given as to how to instal it:
    The highlited parts are the steps applied to me.
    Installation instructions:

- Copy oeupdmaker and oeupdmaker% to /PSP/GAME if you are in 1.50, or to /PSP/GAME150 if you
    are in any SE/OE version. Get the 1.50 and 3.40 Sony updaters (of any region, because all are
    currently the same), and copy them in the oeupdmaker directory with the names 150.PBP and 340.PBP.

Execute the program, and it will generate the DATA.DXAR file. The checksums (althoug the flasher
    will check for them for you):

CRC32: CDA4638D
    MD5: 9754F2CC0CBE2D8FE0DD009C90FDCD9F
    SHA1: 6F76BB67B31EFF6FECB72D9D4AF443C793E1E521

- Copy 340oeflasher and 340oeflasher% to /PSP/GAME if you are in 1.50, or to /PSP/GAME150 if you
    are in any SE/OE version. Move the DATA.DXAR to 340oeflasher directory.

You need 75% battery, although you can skip this if you pressed L+triangle while loading the program.--------------------------------------------------------------

I'm all the way at the last part. Once I run the program it says press x to start it and then after I do it says "opening and validating dxar file..." after it shows that it takes about 30 second for the psp to shut off.
    thnx

8. mrmcman

mrmcman Guest

u forgot to move the DATA.DXAR that was created during the first part to the 340oeflasher file. do that on the computer and ull be fine.

9. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

@PetahG

A easyier method to upgrading to custom firmware 3.40 OE-A would be to use a easy installer. It places all the files you need to upgrade to 3.40 OE-A in the correct places. It has step-by-step directions to help you along the way in case you get lost. Before you use this format your memory stick from within your PSP. Then put your PSP in USB mode, run the 3.40 OE-A Easy Installer and follow the directions.

3.40 OE-A Easy Installer

@mrmcman

long time no see ;)

10. mrmcman

mrmcman Guest

ya lol :p

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2007
  11. PetahG

PetahG Guest

Woo hooo!
    Great Success! lol
    IT worked, the easy installer worked perfectly.
    I know excatly what was wrong. The installer I had was creating corrupt data.dax files. It only created one and it said it was 0 k big, which isnt right, therefore once I started teh installer it couldnt find a proper DAX file and it just shut down.
    Once again thnx a lot to both of you, mrmcman, and PeaInAPod, you've been a great help for me...if I was Bill Gates, i'd hire you my new Windows anytime lol.
    THNX
    PetahG

12. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

@PetaHG

No problem, yeah mrmcman and I have been tearing through the PSP forums helping people with questions like this :) It's why we come to afterdawn to help :)

13. mrmcman

mrmcman Guest

and i would just like to say, through 298 posts (almost 300! :) ) that is the most original compliment i have received! Congratulations!
    keep playin (+[_]%) like my psp? lol

14. PetahG

PetahG Guest

LOL Thank you very much and very creative with the keyboard :)

15. PetahG

PetahG Guest

actually i have one more question...can I delete the 3.4 OE installer from the memory stick or do i have to have it there?
    thnx

16. PetahG

PetahG Guest

Never mind....I figured out that you can do that, since I switched memory sticks and it sayed teh same.

17. mrmcman

mrmcman Guest

ya lol just delete it, its useless now
    btw, 301 POSTS!!! i am happy, only 199 away from senior (i think. its 500, right?)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2007
  18. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

Yeah 500 posts to senior member status. But it won't change right after that 500th post, a day or two and should have changed.

19. mrmcman

mrmcman Guest

cant wait! just gotta keep on postin.

20. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

Yeah after I got 700 more posts I'll be and AD Addict :)