1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Improving quality of 320x240 TV rips

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by malish, Mar 9, 2005.

1. malish

malish Member

Hi guys

I recently downloaded some simpsons episodes and most of them are 320x240 in dimension and about 85 mbs in size (AVI files).

This is the main VirtualDub Mod info:

Four CC code: Low motion DivX MPEG-4
    Video data rate: 422 kbps

Audio tag: MPEG-1 Layer 3 (mp3)
    Audio data rate: 128 kbps

I would really like to improve the quality of the episodes to say something like 750 kbps video data rate and make it roughly 175 mbs in size.

I have tried to recompress the episodes with the same DixX compression to make them about 750 kbps video data rate and they turned up at the size I wanted (175 mbs). The only problem was that when I watched them, they were still the exact same quality (to the eye) but were now taking up twice as much room...

Is there any way to recompress a video from a smaller video bit rate to a larger video bit rate and thus improve the quality of video (to the eye)? Or is it only possible to recompress larger bit rates to smaller bit rates. And also, would I maybe need to resize the dimensions to say something like 480x360?

Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks alot in advance.

2. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

Malish, buddy, it doesn't work that way!
    You cannot give a 422kbs source a higher datarate, and expect higher quality - you will get the very same (or lower) quality you have now.
    Bingo!
    Yes, if somebody had encoded the original @750kbs and 640x480, then you could squeeze it down to what you've got now; but you cannot go the other way.
    Too bad the original author did not have your desire for quality...
    Regards

3. malish

malish Member

Thanks for ur reply, The_OGS.

But would I be able to use some virtualdub mod filters to try and improve it a bit? What filters would u recommend? The episodes are a bit greenish on the edges of characters' faces. I tried to take it off by sharpening it a bit, but that greenish glow was still there..

Any help is greatly appreciated.