1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Improving Video Quality??

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by Hogustus, Sep 25, 2003.

1. Hogustus

Hogustus Member

I am new to capturing video and burning it to DVD, but had some success with it yesterday. However, the only real issue I am having is the quality of the finished product is substantially less than that of the original tape in the camcorder. Any suggestions on improvement?

I am capturing, editing and converting to MPEG with Studio 8 software, then going to VOB files with Sonic MYDVD and writing with Nero. I am using windows Xp, and have a Pioneer A-104 writer.

Like I said, for the first crack at it, it turned out alright, just the video quality was pretty poor. Thanks in advance for help.

2. essexman

essexman Member

Hogustus,
    I have just done a wedding video from my Sony analog camcorder, hi8 tape.Make sure you are capturing the video clips in the .avi format, usually capture cards let you capture .avi or .mpeg.The former takes up larger amount of disk space , but should preserve image quality this is the way to go, and you should be able to preview the quality and get an idea of the finished disc.After authoring the clips,join them in a suitable utlilty like Movie maker 2 , and then burn the resultant file to a DVD.

3. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Yes keep them in AVI for as long as you can.
    I'm sure there are more effective programs (free too) for this :p

4. essexman

essexman Member

Movie Maker 2 is a freebie from Microsoft, either off their site , or comes on s DVD with their magazine.It has the dstinct advantage for me because it recognises my P.C. in card , (a Kobian Mercury), which a lot of the other demo software fails to see.It also supports Video "S" input from my card,which is the preferred input for the best quality.MM2 has very sophisicated titling , and a heart shaped transition , which is very appealing for a weddding type video.The finished files will tranfer to MyDVD 4.0 as stated on microsoft website.

5. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

I was thinking VirtualDub