1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

In great need of help with backups

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by Rabidgoat, Nov 26, 2007.

1. Rabidgoat

Rabidgoat Member

Hello I have a bit of a problem. I Modded my 360 to play backups and have come into some trouble. I have a hitachi 49 drive flashed with iextreme 1.2rev 2 and it plays only some of my backups fine. skate, cod4, half life, and others work fine but some will only load halfway through the intro after the microsoft logo and give me the dirty disc error. I only use verbatims. some burnt at 2.4 and others at 4x (i heard 4x helps sometimes) I recently tried the pot tweak and tweaked it to 2.98 and still no use. i dont want to go any lower burn out the lens. I have also tried the ruber band trick (although since i have a hitachi i added plastic so the button presses earlier) to no avail. I am really scratching my head on this one and lke the title says am in great need of help.

anything would be greatly appreciated.

p.s. yes all my originals work too.

p.p.s. mulletter says everything is patched with the ones that dont work.

2. nki00

nki00 Regular member

What happens with Xtreme software is that they try to release each update to be more "secure" against Microsoft detecting DVD drives being flashed. As a result newer versions of iXtreme make it harder to play burned DVDs. If you do not intend to play Live (which I would strongly advise against with any version of Xtreme firmware!) I'd use the earliest version of iXtreme you can find.

I first installed the latest iXtreme 1.3 and all my burnd discs turned out to be coasters, but not until I reflashed with iXtreme1.2(fast_read). Now I can play all of them!

3. Rabidgoat

Rabidgoat Member

thank you, i will try that. I have been messing with the pot to get it to read better(mass effect will only load so far). How far back should i go? and if i do go back why not go to maximus garyopa? also if i flash backwards to iextreme 1.1 or so can i still play originals on live?

4. nki00

nki00 Regular member

I'm not sure about hitachi drive. what i would do is go back and try one after another. for my Samsung ms25 drive, i used iXtreme 1.2 firmware. the problem in your case could also be with the DVD burner and/or DVD blanks that you're using.

Also about Live. Whatever firmware you use (except original) will eventually lead to you being banned! So the only way you can go there is if you flash your original firmware back. Period.

5. Rabidgoat

Rabidgoat Member

ok now i am moderately angry. I tweaked the pot to 3.03 and was playing mas effect for around 2hrs and when i put the console back together my drive is in mode b?? i don't understand this.

6. JnkyrdDog

JnkyrdDog Guest

You should have just paid $60 to get it modded and not have to worry about it. I did and mine works fine.

7. nki00

nki00 Regular member

Well, this whole modding method is no exact science. It's more of a trial and error process. I still keep mine open to test the firmware well. If it doesn't work for you try a different version of firmware and if it works steady for a week or so (of extensive playing) then put it together and forget about it.

8. Rabidgoat

Rabidgoat Member

I don't really like the idea of having someone do it for me as i can do it myself and learn a thing or too in the process.

and about the mode b thing, I took it apart again and it is working fine now, only my drive will only read so far into mass effect. I hear the drive searching the disk then it stops and i get the dirty disk error.
    I will try cleaning everything and see what that does.

9. nki00

nki00 Regular member

It may be a bad drive itself, or DVD discs that you burn. Did you try playing from a genuine disc -- does the same happen?

10. JnkyrdDog

JnkyrdDog Guest

11. Rabidgoat

Rabidgoat Member

look i asked for help in a forum, not to be vilified by someone who opted out of doing it themselves. I am not trying to argue but to put it as politely as possible, if you cant offer some opinion to help then please don't waste your time.

12. JnkyrdDog

JnkyrdDog Guest

All good man, my point is, if someone is in over their head with flashing their drive, just swallow the humble pie and pay someone. Good luck to you.