1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

In need of help I cant decide which console to buy. Ps3 or 360.

Discussion in 'PS3' started by SonGoku21, Oct 2, 2011.

1. SonGoku21

SonGoku21 Member

I have to buy a new 3rd gen console, and the only ones are the PS3 and the 360. I'm a real Sony fan-boy, big fan of the ps2, and I was going to go with the ps3 until all of my cousins bought the 360 and chat on windows live messenger and stuff. I did some research and it said the ps3 has over all better performance than the 360, but I'm not so sure. I heard with the 360 you have to buy xbox live membership, $50 bucks a month. what do you guys think? I heard you can install windows on PS3, and after i get a little feel for the console, I might try to install. any thoughts? which can one can do more? which on has more value. If I do get the PS3, how do you install windows on it? simple instructions please, and is it okay to use a hacked version of windows?

2. Eisherz

Eisherz Active member

Simple instructions for installing windows on a PS3? There are none. You might want to install Linux, but that requires a lot of stuff.
    And who told you about 50 US$ a month? Check ebay, Xbox Live gold account card 12 Months+2 months and some addon for Gears of War 3 54 US$.
    The performance of both consoles is equal, in some games the 360 does better, in some the PS3. Both got some realy nice exclusive titles.
    The Xbox 360 is about 100 US$ cheaper than the PS3. Also in the US the new TOS for Playstation Network simply suck, you don't own the stuff you buy on PSN anymore, you only have a license that can be taken away by Sony anytime they want (they didn't try this here in Germany, therefore for me that isn't much of an issue). They added some more stuff I wouldn't want to these TOS. If you want to hack your PS3, PSN is out of the question anyways, for the hack you need to find a used PS3 that is still on firmware 3.55 or below, the newer consoles are 3.56 and up (latest is 3.72) and for PSN you need the latest firmware.
    Some hackers also found out that Sony added a routine in the newer firmwares that slows down the fan speed, with both the older Xbox 360 and all PS3 models having overheating issues slowing down the fan speed isn't something you should do.
    The Xbox 360 can be hacked more easy than the PS3 (a LiteOn drive can be a pain, but still, atleast all models are hackable with PMT and probably jailbreakable with that announced new chip) and you can still go online with a hacked console, but if Microsoft detects the hack they will ban the console permanently off XBL, making it only useable offline.
    I personally have both consoles, an untouched (atleast software-sided, bought it defective, repaired it and modified the case) PS3 for those games I want to play online as originals or maybe want to buy additional DLC for and an Xbox 360 with the latest drive hack for those games I want to rent, copy and burn to play offline only. It has only seen XBL to get the media download so I can use DivX on it.
    The newer Xbox 360 models (slim) are supposedly RROD (overheating) proof, atleast I have not read of any other thing, while the newer PS3 slim still get the YLOD (overheating) symptomes (can be fixed the same way as the old models) without the yellow light (maybe Sony have removed the diod).
    If all your friends have an Xbox 360 I would go for that console and buy a slim model.

3. bigo93

bigo93 Regular member

Do you play online a lot? Do you have friends with PS3s?

I hear online gaming is better on the 360, so if more of your friends have 360s, get a 360.

If you want to hack your console, hacking a ps3 means not online gaming atm, should be possible with e3flasher though, if $ony cant detect it.

Do you have any blurays? ps3 has BR drive, 360 doesnt.

Offline gaming, I hear that overall both consoles are equal, though as said above a few games are better on 360, a few better on ps3.

So to me the only big question is do you like online gaming? If yes get a 360. (based on what Ive heard about online gaming, I dont have a 360, but since you pay for it M$ should be giving you a better service)

4. SonGoku21

SonGoku21 Member

so you guys say the 360? hmm. ill wait for a little more feedback before i invest in a 3rd gen system. Thanks so far for all your help. I really thought you could install windows on ps3. oh well.

5. bigo93

bigo93 Regular member

Pretty sure I heard you can install windows xp on a ps3, quick google search links http://www.ps3hax.net/showthread.php?t=4243

If the people you want to play online with have 360s then get a 360s as well, you cant play with them if you get a ps3 and they dont have one. Get the latest version though, sine they have wireless included :p (Cant believe M$ sold a console without wireless connectivity, even the wii is wireless out of the box.)

Of course if you do not play online much, then get a PS3, make sure it's on fw 3.55, or buy an e3flasher to downgrade, then hack it then "backup" the games then stick your finger to $ony saying you wont agree to their shitty TOS and are happy to screw them over like they have done to all their customers.

Sony fanboys will tell you get a ps3, xbox fanboys will tell you to get a 360; but if you read comparisons, gaming wise they really are the same.

Obviously the best deals will be this xmas, so you can wait and for those, but the longer you wait, the harder it will be to get a hackable ps3.

6. Eisherz

Eisherz Active member

Actually, that is not an installation of windows XP, it's an emulation through OtherOS, as stated in the link it may work, but it will be horribly slow and games or anything won't work. Because of the removal of OtherOS it won't work with an out-of-the-box PS3 anymore, you will need a hackable PS3 and manage to install Linux on it first.

7. KillerBug

KillerBug Active member

Take it from a PS3 user...get a 360.

8. SonGoku21

SonGoku21 Member

why? does ps3 suck?

9. KillerBug

KillerBug Active member

From a hardware standpoint the PS3 is clearly better...the price is better too once you figure the cost of a tiny hard disk for a 360...but as far as dealing with the company that makes it, it is night and day...or at least night and twilight. Sony has practically declared war on their own users, going so far as to hide secret clauses in the TOS that say that you cannot sue for anything and that nothing you buy from them actually belongs to you, and that they can revoke it at any time (which they have already proven they can and will do). The only way to avoid the bulk of the Sony attack is to jailbreak...and then you can't play the new games, go online, or rent games from the PSN store (again, you can't buy anything).

Microsoft is not run by angels or anything...don't get me wrong there...but you might think of Sony as North Korea and Microsoft as China.

10. SonGoku21

SonGoku21 Member

someone needs to knock sense into sony and microsoft. what happened to the days where games were yours and you played as you like? Im feeling like i should stick to my old haked ps2 wich idk might be about 10 years old now?

11. xXHCOxX

xXHCOxX Member

Both consoles are really good. I own both consoles and i play my xbox 360 way more i feel bad because my PS3 is collecting dust. if you are really into the gaming experience online play, go for the Xbox 360 it has more game titles than the PS3 and the online play is way better community and come on its 50$ a year for xbox live it isn't a whole monthly service. Why go with a free online service if you experience lag and long times to join a match when you could experience a good maintained service ( Xbox Live). Sony fanboys don't get upset I'm saying this through personal opinion but I'm pretty sure more users have the same opinion. If your looking for a Game/Movie experience go for a PS3 you can watch blu-ray's and games so it pretty much falls down to you what kind of user are you ? And if your looking to mod your console you can kiss the PS3 goodbye. Too much of a hassle to mod the PS3 and you can't even play online with it, if you manage to mod the console and ( no you can't install any O/S on the PS3, Sony took that option off )

12. bigo93

bigo93 Regular member

$ony took away otheros, but if you hack your ps3 you can get it back again, but then you end up with what killerbug said, no new games, no online.

So yeah remember if you want to install an OS on the PS3 it has to be hacked now. $ony stole the feature back on fw 3.21 official fw consoles cannot install any OS any more.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2011
  13. 1nsan3

1nsan3 Regular member

I own both systems. i love them both. Both have there ups and downs. and both have games that the other dont. in one way or another u will have to pay to play online, xbox live costs per month, and ps3, well games are now going to that system if ya buy it used u have to pay 10 for a key to play online. I know alot of people dont have the money to buy both systems. its hard to choose, i bought the 360,First, just because i have most of ( well 99.9 % ) of my friends on xbox live. From xbox 1, and only 2 friends on ps3. i bought the ps3 for mainly a media center, all my movies, ( blu ray too ) and then modded the ps3, but got bored and wanted to play some games on psn, so un modded my ps3. Both systems are very cheap used.

but, it all depends on what games u want to play alot. COD i play on xbox 360. but the graphics are better on ps3. Alot of my friends are buying ps3's because of the better graphics.

Im a gamer, so ps3, wii, 360, xbox 1, ps2, nintendo, and supernintendo, are what i have. and i play them all. and its very VERY hard to choose sometimes what to play.
    Good Luck!

14. SonGoku21

SonGoku21 Member

i never thought about buying both... of course it woulndt be at the same time as im 16 and with out a job, but do able.

15. bigo93

bigo93 Regular member

If you buy both, then make sure the ps3 is on firmware 3.55 so you can hack it and then screw $ony over! They dont deserve new customers.

Taht way you can get the game you like on xbox and play online, and the games you dont you can "backup" and play offline whenever you want.

16. ps355528

ps355528 Regular member

16 and no job?.. buy a bike and go hang out with friends. Hairy palms and an expanding waistline are NOT the answer. Go get some voluntary work for a charity.. looks good on job applications and gains real world skills, something playing with toys doesn't. (I learned computers and electronics because I had a father who didn't believe in "toys".. I was given junk electronics and some textbooks and tools.. same with a scrap PDP-8.. best toys ever)
    What you do in the next couple of years sets your future.. don't waste it playing with expensive toys and feeding the corporate scum ;)

17. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

1st you dont have to buy a 3rd gen consoles theres are millions of people living normal lives without them.
    also a decent gaming pc will probably do fine.

the ps3 has better hardware and free online play plus blu ray,apparently its not easy to mod and sony has a bad reputation.

xbox 360 is cheaper,has the kinect.easier to hack, but online play costs money,also doesnt have blu ray.

as for the games and which will run smoother on each system all depends on the makers/developers/programmers of the games not the system.

18. SonGoku21

SonGoku21 Member

Well, im fit thank you, i work out, and have plenty of friends, i know what i do these years sets my future, thats why im so confused with between what i should be doing, and what i am doing. And i feel just left out lol cuz everyone has a 3rd gen wether xbox or ps3. oh btw, any tips for taking the SAT? i live in nyc so idk if in other countries or states if they take the same test.

19. Eisherz

Eisherz Active member

Actually, that's wrong. The PS3 has the better processor, but the Xbox 360 has the better graphics card.
    And seriously, a decent gaming PC? Buy both PS3 and Xbox 360, still cheaper than buying a decent gaming PC.

20. Blackking503

Blackking503 Member

I have both. If you plan on not playing online games you should get the PS3. Blu ray, web browser are worth it. BUT....if you want to play online you should go with the 360. Xboxlive is around $52 a year and for what you can do with it it's way worth it. You can be in a party chat with up to seven other friends all playing different games. If your friends have a Netflix account you guys can watch some of there movies together. Granted ps3 network is free I can't remember the last time I played it. I bought it just to play socom and there party system sucks and when ever I did play it I would had my 360 chatting with my buddy's while playing the ps3 because no one seems to talk in there games. Basically xbox live makes the 360 a better buy hands down