1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

In the words of Tom Jones, WHY, WHY, WHY.......

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by pigsy55, Apr 30, 2007.

1. pigsy55

pigsy55 Guest

Ok this will be my last post on backing up 360 games as absolutely no-one on here seems to be able to help and my problem seems to be isolated.

I am doing everything by the book, I use a Pioneer 111D with latest firmware, a Samsung SHD162C with latest Kreon firmware, Verbatim DL discs, XBox backup creator/Schtrom/Imageburn at 2.4x & 4x, I have a 360 flashed to 5.2a, all my backups work fine that my mate did for me (he has now moved abroad!) and yet all of my backups using the above freeze at either the first loading screen or one of the first cutscenes.

All burn 100%, all are verified, all load up fine.

What the hell could it be, because right now I am completely stumped.

2. killalot

killalot Active member

Just because you are using Verbatim DL discs don’t take that as not a media problem might have a bad batch I brought some verbatim about 3 years ago 20, still got 15 left the 5 I burned all failed these was DVD + what brand are the ones your mates that work for you ? Try a different brand you might be surprised

3. pigsy55

pigsy55 Guest

I initially bought a pack of 5 Verb 2.4x DVD+R from PC World, burnt them at 2.4x, then bought a 10 pack of the same of ebay burnt at 2.4x and then bought some Ricoh Aone 8x DVD+R burned at 4x all results were identical. Every game freezes with the excpetion of Lego Star Wars which plays fine but has no sound effects!!

4. pigsy55

pigsy55 Guest

My mates were Verbatim and Ricoh, so I thought I would use tried and trusted media. The only other thing that could cause a problem that I can think of is that the drives I am using are through my laptop and IDE connection cable.

5. pigsy55

pigsy55 Guest

The other thing I notice with my good backups is that they are burnt right to the edge, whereas mine stop short, is this an issue.

6. killalot

killalot Active member

What make is the drive you are using in your laptop? you have got DMA on for your writer.

7. killalot

killalot Active member

Take that back “I use a Pioneer 111D with latest firmware, a Samsung SHD162C with latest Kreon “if you are using a laptop how you got two drives attached to it? Is the pioneer connected through USB?

8. pigsy55

pigsy55 Guest

I plug the Samsung in via IDE and USB, copy the image using XBC. Then I unplug the Samsung and plug in the Pioneer with the IDE/USB and burn the image using XBC and Imageburn.

All seems to burn no problem without error.

9. killalot

killalot Active member

It’s hard to say but I’d say that is were your problem might lie the ide-usb setup with you using a laptop as well make sure all power saving modes are set to always on and all running tasks are disabled i.e. anything down by the clock right click and shut them down and make sure you run the laptop of the mains power not the battery

10. bhetrick

bhetrick Active member

I second what killa's saying. Plus, have you updated the firmware for the burner? And if you really want to narrow down your problem, borrow a decent desktop and install your drives. This may seem like alot of work, but you do want to find out what the problem is.

11. pigsy55

pigsy55 Guest

Thanks for the help guys, yes both burners have the latest firmware. I think that the laptop must be the common problem.

I will stick the drives in my PC desktop at work (during my break!) and see if that makes any difference. I suppose that it doesn't matter which is primary and which is secondary? I will install the Pioneer as primary and the Sammy as secondary. Is there anything else I should do when installing the drives (settings?), or is it just stick them in and give it a go?

12. bhetrick

bhetrick Active member

You can set them as cable select.

13. killalot

killalot Active member

Quick note I had a lot of trouble backing up games using XBC creator I used Schtrom in the end make sure you use the latest version just a thought still say it’s the ide-usb set up but worth thinking about good luck

14. giresse

giresse Member

I had exactly the same problem as described. The problem will be one of 4 things.

[1] Disk burned too fast.
    [2] Cd Drive eye dirty
    [3] Bad disc or wrong type
    [4] Maybe the firmware is runnung too fast. Try xtreme 5.2b that runs at 4x speed. xtreme 5.2a runs at 12x speed it maybe too fast for copys.

I used both 1 and 4 to fix my problem.

15. pigsy55

pigsy55 Guest

I have tried Schtrom also with the same result, so I don't think that is the problem.

I have tried 5.2a, 4.2b firmwares, same result so I don't think this is the problem. I have tried the best media, so I am sure that is not the issue. I have burned at 1x, 2.4x and 4x all with the same result.

My conlusion as with Killa is that the only thing I am doing different to most others is that I am using a laptop, so fingers crossed I will give my PC a go tomorrow.

Thanks again!

16. bhetrick

bhetrick Active member

Well, keep us informed. Also, 4x is the ideal burning speed and don't burn any slower than 2.4x.

17. pigsy55

pigsy55 Guest

Looks like the IDE/USB interface was the problem. I put the drives in a pc, set both to cable select, Read/Write with XBC at 4x on Ricoh Aone media, and tested briefly in the 360 and looked ok, no freeze and was able to play the game from the last load.

Hopefully after countless coasters, this has finally solved the problem.

Thanks for the help.

18. killalot

killalot Active member

What you could try this is if you have only got a laptop at the moment is setup your Samsung SHD162C start windows rip the game to your hardrive shut down your computer set up your Pioneer 111D restart your computer then rip the game just a thought might be because you are hot swapping a ide device to USB and when you swap the drives over without restarting it losses the plot ide drives aren’t hot swap compatible I don’t think because its connected to USB it doesn’t make it hot swappable if you see where I’m coming from just a thought.

19. pigsy55

pigsy55 Guest

That's a thought, I think I always hot swapped the drives and then burned the image, maybe a restart in between may help.