1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Incompatability issues w/ Sony DRU-720A

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by baja150, Feb 28, 2005.

1. baja150

baja150 Member

I just bought a Sony DRU-720A and need a few suggestions.

1) Has anyone with a DRU-720A had any issues with any Ridata, Taiyo Yuden, or Verbatim DataLifePlus media?

2) Which out of the 3 media brands above have the best white hub printable surface? 4X Speed is fine for me.

3) Should I install the latest firmware for my DRU-720A and where can I d/l it from?

Thanks,
    Rich

2. Starbuck1

Starbuck1 Guest

Baja, here is the website for firmware upgrade:

http://sony.storagesupport.com/dvdrw/dru720adwn.htm#dwns

Check the media compatibility list for your Sony DRU - 720A device to be sure it works with your media!! I'm sure it's dual format and should work with + and - media; Verbatim and Taiyo Yuden are very reliable media.

3. baja150

baja150 Member

Thanks Starbuck.

After all my research it seems Tiayo Yuden is pretty much top rated. The problem is that every website I goto has discrepencies about wether or not the DVD-R's are inkjet hub printable. Any idea on how to clear this up?

4. Starbuck1

Starbuck1 Guest

You can definitely find inkjet hub printable media; I really don't worry about it; I use a perm felt tip marker for mine and have no worries. Do others have an opinion on this??

5. U-S-M-C

U-S-M-C Member

Hey guys. Thanks for posting all the links & info on DRU-720. well, I have this, but it's not out of the shrinkwrap yet. Problem is I don't know how to install it.

How did you guys do it? Or did you guys go to BestBuy & have them install it? Any help?

6. Starbuck1

Starbuck1 Guest

Are you installing the new burner?? Do you have a DVD-ROM or CD-ROM now, currently installed?? What is your current configuration?? Vendor?? Model Number?? Normally, most folks hook up a 2nd drive in a desktop and connect it and set jumper as Master; then, make the other CD/DVD-Rom slave and hook up to 2nd IDE port on the motherboard. Dell desktops like to use CSEL (cable select) for jumper setting; in that case you can make your dvd-burner CSEL too. Keep us posted.

7. U-S-M-C

U-S-M-C Member

Starbuck1, I was planning to install it on my own, but I'll check with Bestbuy first (I bought it there).

I have an hp pavilion a706n. It does have a 2nd bay on it. My current drive is just a CDRW/DVD. I bought this about 4 months.

Believe me, I've tried reading the manuals. Unfortunately, it says something about buying "special 6/32-?? screws." Do you think the DRU-720A is compatible with my comp?

8. Starbuck1

Starbuck1 Guest

Best Buy charges you about 30 bills for the install which isn't too bad. But, you can do it yourself within 15 minutes. The drive should come with dvd drive screws, same as what you have on your cd/dvd-rom. If you are anywhere near MD/VA/DC area send me a private mail. I will hook you up. Also, check your Users manual; it comes with user friendly install directions for DVD drive/Hard drives, memory, etc. Keep us posted.

starbuck

9. VANQUISHR

VANQUISHR Member

Appreciate the link for firmware upgrade Starbuck1. Just picked up one of these last night!

I agree with the felt tip marker, I've encountered a problem in the past where (I believe) the adhesive on the CD labels I was using actually ate through the reflective coating and thus made the disc useless after about a week.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2005
  10. Starbuck1

Starbuck1 Guest

Hey Vanquishr, I'm glad to help out. Enjoy it and treat her nicely! Happy ripping and burning to you and Happy St. Patty's Day!!!!!

Thanks!

starbuck

11. VANQUISHR

VANQUISHR Member

Everything went smooth as silk, am burning up a storm, just cleared 25 Gigs off one of my HD's WHEW! Thanks Again Starbuck1!, and a Happy St. Patty's Day to You & Yours! (tho I recommend keeping the minors out of the green beer, LoL!)

Cheers!