1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Incompatible Media Using Dvd Decrypter

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by raceman17, Dec 19, 2004.

1. raceman17

raceman17 Member

Hello, I have tried to back a movie up using DVD Decrypter and for some reason, I get a message of incompatible media. I can put the movie in three different stand alone dvd player and the movie playes just fine. Also, when I place the movie in the dvd burner on the computer, the computer doesnt reconize it when I go to "my computer" and see if the movie has been reconized. This also happens when I tried to use shrink and dvdxcopy express. Does anybody have any suggestions to what could be the problem?
    Thanks

2. raceman17

raceman17 Member

I also reinstalled the ASPI Layer and all the DMA settings are also correct. I tried to run the DVD through DVD Identifier and I got the message of "waiting for disk to ionitialize... incompatatible media. Thanks
    Aaron

3. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hello raceman17, Did you try to uninstall and then reinstall your dvd drive.What model is dvdrom/burner?

4. raceman17

raceman17 Member

Hey, The drive is a Sony DVD RW DRU 530A. I uninstalled it yesterday because I thought I had another problem but I guess that did not work. I just got done backing up Conflict Derest Storm an hour ago with no problem but, the burner still will not reconize this other disc. I have updated the firmware about 2 months ago using Sonys firmware so i guess I will see if they have any other firmware updates out there. Who knows.

5. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Try going into device manager, disable your dvdrw, reboot, enable dvdrw, reboot. No guarantee but it's worth a try.

6. raceman17

raceman17 Member

Ok, Mort81, disable the dvdrw, then rebooted, then enable the dvdrw, and then rebooted and it still didnt work. I also went to sonys website and downloaded the latest firmware and installed it and still this doesnt work. Anybody have anymore suggestions?
    Thanks
    Aaron

7. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hello raceman17, Is this the only dvd that you can't backup? You said you just backed up "conflict desert storm". Or do you have 2 burners? If that is the only burner then you may have a "bum" disc or scratched/dirty disc.The weird part is your stand alones play it but the pc doesn't recognise it. It is usually the other way around. Later

8. raceman17

raceman17 Member

I only have one burner and like I said, I have backed up three differnt movies in the past 24 hours with this burner. For some unforscene reason the computer doesnt even reconize the dvd. Its like its not even in the burner. THe disc is practically new and there are no scraches or anything like that on the disc. It just frustrating you know. But anyways, if anybody has anymore suggestions, I would be more than happy to hear from you. Thanks
    Aaron

9. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey raceman, sounds like a bum disc. Even new discs can have manufacturing defects. I have taken a few back that gave me trouble and the replacements worked fine. Can you take it back for another copy? I have a tool ordered to fix discs because i have a couple of older dvd's that I can't get through because of defects.Those defective discs, 1 will play in stand alone and other pauses at same spot in middle of movie.

10. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi Aaron, welcome to aD,

If you don't mind, I'd like to go back a few steps -

First, What is the DVD ?

Second, Is it a factory original OR was it a "copy" ?

Lastly, what other proggys do you have to work with ?

Pete

11. raceman17

raceman17 Member

Hello again!
    Scuba pete to answer your questions the movie was "days of thunder" and it was a new disc. And I assume the word "proggys" is short for programs so if that is the case, I have decrypteR, shrink, xcopyexpress and smart ripper. But just wait, it get better.

This is how I got it to work. After inserting the disk into the dvd burner, I realized that the disc seemed to be rubbing on something on the inside of the burner. ie, you could hear a slight ticking noise.
    So being the type of person that i am (mechanical engineer) I had to see what was up on the inside of the dvd burner. So i removed the burner from the computer and disassemble the lid from the burner. Then installed it back into the computer so I could see what was happening when the dvd started up.
    So once the dvd started to spin, the laser head was making slight contact with the clear plastic ring in the center of the dvd. So, i figured that I could fix that problem easily.
    So, I just started placing small pieces of tape on the underside of the clear plasic ring on the dvd to slightly raise the disc away from the laser head. After a few minutes of adjusting the offset, walla, the computer reconized the disc and everything was back to normal after that.
    So, I guess this is a defective disc because the center clear platic hub is slighly more offset than the other dvds that I have. Well I guess I can say this is a first one for me but I appreciate the help and once again this is a Great Site.
    Thanks again
    Aaron

12. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hey Aaron,

I guess the "kind of guy you are" also relates to that understatement - (Lol)

That is also a first for me too. Chances are, after a week of doing everything we could, we would have finally decided that it was the burner never thinking that the disc center could be the culprit- Go figure !

What a turn, Huh ?

No matter what, we're delighted you're burning up a storm now ~

Consider this an invitation, stop on back, don't be a stranger, you're welcome even if you don't have problems to solve -

You can just "Hang out" and read some, improve your knowledge, help others if you can spot their problem, 3 heads are better than 2 (said the Cyclops to the Ogre). You can check out our forums on Home Theater components, Games, p2p topics or even cellular phones Or you could hang out in the "Safety Valve," a forum for gossiping about anything and everything under the sun :)
    Check de place out, you just might find a little something that'll interest you -

Me ? Hey, I'll be over there, out from under that broiling hot sun, under the "Potted" Palm, right next to the water cooler. Just chewin' the fat and waiting for the next Newbie who needs a bit "O" help - Stop by and say "Howdy" -

I'll be lQQking forward to Sea'n you,

Cheers and Season's Greetings to everyone,

Pete :p)

13. raceman17

raceman17 Member

Scuba Pete,

Thanks for the invite and thanks for the time and effort people like you put into this site to make it the best site around.
    Thanks Again
    Aaron

14. tsquare43

tsquare43 Regular member

Hello to all. Been reading these forums for the better part of 3 weeks trying to learn. One of the questions asked at the beginning of this thread was if the DVD was an original or a "copy". Just curious, but can a "copy" be copied? I had always heard that it couldn't.

I have only used DVDXpress, but haven't been particularly pleased with it and looking for something new/better. My son has burned about 120 movies using Xpress, but his system is a lot newer than mine and I have an external LiteOn burner. Just curious about the "copy". Thanks.

Tom

15. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hello tsquare43, since your backup already has the copyright removed,aka dvd shrink, reburning them are no problem.I have done that a few times. You can burn with dvd decrypter,nero, or dvdtocopy. If you have the harddrive space,you can leave them on there for a while or permanent. pretty high quality backups with free software from here at AD.Shrinks quality enhancements enable me to make a dvd9 original and place it on 1 standard dvd.Most here prefer it over dvdxcopy. PS : The smaller the system, the slower the process.The enhancements also slow it down.

16. tsquare43

tsquare43 Regular member

saugmon: Thanks for the reply. My system is 4 years old and has a small hdd (40gb). Plan to put a "band-aid" on my system and put another hdd. Will probably upgrade next year.

17. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi there tsquare43, welcome to aD,

The reason you can't copy a copy with XCopy is because they leave a "watermark" on their copies so any copy made by XCopy cannot be copied by XCpopy. Gee, with all those "copies in that sentance, I almost my mind (Lol).

As you've been told - almost any proggy can copy a copy EXCEPT XCopy.

I suggest getting used to DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter - They do a fine job are supported (which XCopy isn't) and they are FREE ! !

Here's a guide and the proggy links about the middle of the page -

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2/74599

SEASON'S GREETINGS ~

Pete

18. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

can't copy a copy of xcopy, food for thought, aye pete. That's what I love about this place, you learn something new everyday.Happy Holidays to all!

19. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

It looks like I have you corn-fuzzeled too - :)

Anyone can copy a copy of XCopy except XCopy - That's the way I was trying to say it - Lol :p)

Cheers all,

SEASONS GREETINGS,

Pete