1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Inconsistent playback and I don't understand why.

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by bbarrett, Jan 11, 2004.

1. bbarrett

bbarrett Member

I have been trying to create backup copies of my DVD's and the results are inconsistent. I'm using DVD Shrink 3.0 beta 5 to rip/compress, Img Tool classic v. 0.90 Build 8 to create an .iso file, and then DVD Decryptor v. 3.1.9.0 to burn. I've been using Ritek 2X DVD-RW's first for a test run (they work on my stand alone the first time then it doesn't want to read them after that, with the exception of one other time). I've been writing to 1X DVD-R Princo or 1-4X Ritek GO4 DVD-R's. I use the above sequence to rip then burn DVD-5's and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I use shrink to modify ripped DVD-9's then burn and sometimes that results in a copy that works and sometimes it doesn't. I'm not sure if it is my burner (Emprex 4X DVD+/-RW) or if sometimes when I rip a dvd the burned copy doesn't have the files written in the right order so that my two standalones (KLH KD-1220 and Panasonic DVD-RV22)can recognize it. I've been trying to experimentally figure this out for a couple of weeks now. I've tried really hard to do all the research on the web through forums etc, but I'm stuck. Sorry for the long diatribe. I'm just frustrated and hoping someone will give me some advice. Thanks

2. naudiram

naudiram Member

I am having more or less the same problem. I ripped a DVD with DVD Shrink and burned the DVD with Nero Smart. The DVD copy does not run on the PC's player (can't figure out why!) but it surprisingly worked on a normal DVD player connected to the TV. Have you tried this?

It is frustrating that it doesn't work on my PC but at least it runs on a DVD player...

3. bbarrett

bbarrett Member

Yeah, my problem is just the opposite. All my burns work in my computer DVD-rom every time, but they only work inconsistently in my stand alone player. I'm wondering if there is something wrong with the sequence of how the files are being written on to the disc? I'm guessing that if they are not written in the right order the player won't recognize the disc properly. I'm getting pretty frustrated! Thanks for replying. What is the program that you are running on your computer to play DVD's. I use PowerDVD and it works really well on mine. You might just need to get an update for whatever software you're trying to use. Good luck.

4. grechy

grechy Guest

When your using DVD Shrink after the encoding process is finished in your video_ts folder the files are already in order. All you have to is is drag them into your burning program ( I use Nero Express ) and burn it on your blank DVD-R.

5. naudiram

naudiram Member

Yes, that's precisely what I do. However I think I have solved the problem...it seems that POWERDVD V4.0 has this problem with running some DVDs - in facr it keeps giving me Error Code 89020003, i.e DVD might be damaged.... Version 5 has specifically listed as on of its features that this error code problem has now been resolved. I will try and get hold of the software upgrade and let you know. Wish me luck!

6. bbarrett

bbarrett Member

Grechy, are you saying that you don't even have to create one big .iso file using something like ImgTool? Originally I did like what you said and after shrink I would simply drag the VIDEO_TS folder into the lower window on Easy DVD Creator Classis (that's what came with my writer). This worked ok for a couple of backups to Princo 1X -R's, but then didn't work. I thought the reason might be that I wasn't creating the .iso file before burning. I've done that with ImgTool but still had inconsitent luck, no matter what program I burn with. I can't figure out why either process will work form some back ups, then when I do the exact same thing for a different one it doesn't play in my standalones, but works fine on both -RW and -R. Do you think that simply using Nero Express would solve my problems? I've been trying to be as consistent as possible with the whole process but to no avail. Thanks again for any advice!

7. bbarrett

bbarrett Member

Naudiram, I think that will most likely solve your problem. PowerDVD has really worked great for me in my machine. I've read 35+ discs and no problems with any of them. I'm running XP and have a 1.8 Gig duron, 256k ram. If you have somethng similar I would think you would be all set with the upgrade. Good luck!

8. naudiram

naudiram Member

Thanks bbarrett! Version 5 did the job...it works! As for your problem,as grechy is saying simply rip/compress the DVD with DVD DHRINK, then open the VIDEO_TD folder in NERO EXPRESS and transfer all the files...burn the DVD. You don't need to create an ISO file. See...it's less complicated and above all it works! Good Luck!