1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

increase my download rate

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by theone3nu, May 22, 2007.

1. theone3nu

theone3nu Member

hi friends... my net connection is cable net broadband. so i dont have any modem or router.my download rate is too poor. anyone please help me how to increase my torrent download rate.

2. UncleNic

UncleNic Member

Hi, I'm also a newbie but just want to say that your download speed is proportional to your upload speed, so read the excellent guides on this site to check settings etc. I changed from dynamic to static IP address and set up port forwarding and now speeds are much, much faster than before. Good luck!

3. mistycat

mistycat Active member

If you have a client that supports Protocol Encryption, enable it. This link shows how for Azureus, utorrent and BitComet: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/395674 Also disable UPnP (it may be in newer versions of utorrent). Use a port over 10,000 and set your upload speed in your client. Go here: http://www.speedtest.net/ run a speedtest and when you obtain your upload speed, divide it by 8 and take .8 of that to use (10% of total works, too). Check it over several days (including weekend) to get a reliable average. And, if you have any more than one download open at once, your speed will suffer.

Last edited: May 22, 2007
  4. theone3nu

theone3nu Member

hi i changed my download rate proportionate to my upload rate. but how to change dynamic to static...... please tell me clearly thanks for advance...... and thanks for posting reply...

5. theone3nu

theone3nu Member

hey mistycat thanks for replying.. but how to know that my client supports protocol encryption. wat is protocol encryption. please help me to increase my download rate.......

6. UncleNic

UncleNic Member

Hi, have a look at http://portforward.com/networking/staticip.htm
    There's a bit to it but just work carefully through it and do esactly what it says. Worked for me. Best of luck.

7. mistycat

mistycat Active member

Protocol Encryption basically changes the appearance of torrent packets so that an ISP won't identify them as such and block them. I only know of utorrent, Azureus and BitComet as having it and this shows where in them: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/395674

8. theone3nu

theone3nu Member

thanks friend thanku very much i changed my dynamic to static.... now next how to forward ports..... i dont have any modem and router my net is broad band cable.. so please help me..... thanks....

9. theone3nu

theone3nu Member

ya i am using bitcomet i changed the protocol encryption according to that link...... wat to do next ..... thanks for replying.......

10. mistycat

mistycat Active member

I know of no way without a router. Make sure your client is listed as an exception in your firewall.

11. theone3nu

theone3nu Member

how to know that my client is listed as an exception in my firewall.

12. mistycat

mistycat Active member

Check it and see. For Window's firewall, it's at start>control panel>Window's firewall>>exceptions.

13. UncleNic

UncleNic Member

I've never heard of being able to connect without a modem (single computer) or router (more than one computer, possibly a home network). Check the lead that goes to the phone socket, does it have a box attached to it? If there's flashing lights on it then that's your modem. Have a look in 'Control Panel', 'Phone and Modem Options', 'Modems' and it should be listed there.

Don't give up, you'll get there!

14. mistycat

mistycat Active member

May be wrong about this, been awhile but back when I had dialup from my current provider, I had no modem, only a splitter for the phone and my pc from the phone jack. Edit: I think I'm wrong; the splitter must have gone to a modem. In my defense, it has been years.

Last edited: May 24, 2007
  15. theone3nu

theone3nu Member

yeah man u r right... i have flashing lights but at the top of the pole. To that so many connections are connected. now tell me how to open ports. and i checked in control panel but there is no phone and modem options.......

16. ahiah9

ahiah9 Regular member

Nm... reread the post I was replying to, and realised that mine was stupid & useless. Couldn't figure out ho to just delete it though.w

Last edited: May 25, 2007
  17. UncleNic

UncleNic Member

What do you mean by 'lights at the top of the pole?'

Are you using Windows XP? There should be a 'Phone and Modem' link.

Failing that, try 'Control Panel', 'System', click the 'Hardware' tab, click the 'Device Manager' button, double click 'Modems' and you should see what modems are installed on your computer.

Once you know that, go to http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/routerindex.htm and follow the instructions.

18. theone3nu

theone3nu Member

What do you mean by 'lights at the top of the pole?'

Are you using Windows XP? There should be a 'Phone and Modem' link.

Failing that, try 'Control Panel', 'System', click the 'Hardware' tab, click the 'Device Manager' button, double click 'Modems' and you should see what modems are installed on your computer.

Once you know that, go to http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/routerindex.htm and follow the instructions.[/quote]
    hey in our colony upto 10 members have same server address but different ip addresses..... our cable are connceted to one box with flashing lights... that box is fitted at the top of the pole....means at the side of the building...... so i don have any router modem.... how to open that ports.......in my control panel i have add hardware tab in that no device manager button.....

19. UncleNic

UncleNic Member

I think you need to contact someone who handles IT problem for your network. Sorry but we've gone as far as my knowledge!
    Best of luck tho!

20. theone3nu

theone3nu Member

are there any indians in this forum.... becoz in india..... there is no modem. directly we have a cable connected at the back of the cpu. it is very difficult to open our port settings.... my net speed is 2mbps but the torrent download rate is 25kbps only..... will anybody pls pls help.. me.........

Last edited: May 30, 2007