1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

increaseing original resolution of AVI to DVD

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by jbmill88, Feb 28, 2007.

1. jbmill88

jbmill88 Guest

Is there a way to increase the original resolution of an AVI (for better picture quality) in mpeg2 format or mpeg4 that can be burned to dvd+r9 that can be played on stand alone dvd player to an HDTV,A sony 55" LCD to exact.

2. gwendolin

gwendolin Senior member

You could try this

3. jbmill88

jbmill88 Guest

Sorry about that,
    I'm already doing the double pass same result. maybe its the LCD TV or the PS3 BLUE RAY PLAYER????

4. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

Hi.

Your AVI container either has divx or xvid files. When the AVI was created, a resolution was selected at the time of conversion from the source. There is no way to "increase" the resolution without going back to the original source.

As an example, I have HDTV capture hardware connected to my system. A 1-hour show takes about 6.5 GB of hard drive space. If I convert this raw stream to xvid at a resolution of 1280x960, I'll get a xvid over 2 GB. As I reduce resolution further to 640x480 the size of the xvid will decrease to 700mb or so. Most xvids available for download will be of the lowest resolution to minimize file size. The video detail is lost as the resolution is lowered.

5. jbmill88

jbmill88 Guest

Hence the reason we need need HDDVD or BLUERAY for the increase in storage. So i geuss i'm stuck with the same midgrade quality of my dvd+r picture.
    what dvd+r9 brand is going to give the results for burning.

6. gwendolin

gwendolin Senior member

I only use and recommend Verbatim, but NEVER a DVD9 as I have NO problems fitting my movies to DVD5 without quality (noticeable) loss.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2007
  7. jbmill88

jbmill88 Guest

And that might be?????

8. jbmill88

jbmill88 Guest

Is ther a quality loss when using DVD+R9???

9. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

I'll jump in for Gwen. There is no quality loss when using DVD9. What Gwen meant was that she is able to almost always get good quality when backing up to DVD5s by either compressing or just backing up the main title. If you want an exact backup of a DL DVD, you obviously need to use a DL (DVD9) disk.