1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Increasing DVD Volume with Nero

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by StirlingC, Nov 4, 2007.

1. StirlingC

StirlingC Member

Hi All

New to this forum, but would like to ask if it is possible to increase the volume level on a DVD using Nero.

I currently have Nero 8 on trial(been with 7 for years and very happy). I'm finding that not all DVD's have the same volume levels, some are terrible, and I have to wind the volume up on my home theatre system.
    I like to immediately backup my DVD's and if I can adjust the volume this would be great - or is there another SIMPLE program I can use to do this.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

2. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

If you're converting AVIs to DVD, you might give VSO's ConvertXtoDVD a try. It's very solid and has a fully functional trial that watermarks output.

http://www.vso-software.fr/products/convert_x_to_dvd/

You can adjust the volume in Nerovision. I don't have Nero 8 installed any longer, but in Nero 7 Nerovision, in the edit video mode, select Timeline Mode. The right click on the video track and select Properties. Adjust the volume slider accordingly.

3. StirlingC

StirlingC Member

laddyboy

Thanks for the advice, I have found the relevant screens and modes in nero 8. I will attempt to re-burn an old movie of mine that was put onto DVD from VHS. The sound is really low and will try what you advised.
    Thanks again

4. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

You're welcome.

5. StirlingC

StirlingC Member

Nah - didn't work.

Increased volume 150% but there was no noticeable change. Also sound came out very distorted and crackly. Process took nearly 3 hours.

6. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

So are these commercial DVDs you're backing up? I know DVDs vary somewhat in their mastered volumes but I don't think I've ever encountered a commercial DVD with a very low volume unless there was something wrong with the DVD.

If these were DVDs reconstructed from AVIs, that's where the volume problems probably originated. Mastered DVDs have greater dynamic range than AVIs so when DVDs are converted to AVI, the sound is sometimes flattened.

About the only thing I can suggest now is to separate the audio and video streams, edit the audio with one of the available audio programs, and then recombine the two streams.

http://www.digital-digest.com/~blutach/countrymouse/DeMux_ReMuxDvdAudioTrack.pdf

You might also be able to use something like TMPGEnc DVD Author to edit the volume level on the DVD.

http://www.pegasys-inc.com/en/index.html