1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Increasing Rip Times

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by kwebster, Mar 30, 2004.

1. kwebster

kwebster Member

During the last week, I've seen a significant increase in the time it takes to rip a DVD. Before, it used to take 40-50 minutes -- now it's taking 80-95 minutes. I have changed nothing with regards to hardware or software. DMA is enabled, as it always has been. Burn times, however, have NOT been affected. I don't understand why the increase exists. I use DVD Shrink 3.17 and I have archived over 100 DVD's with consistent read times. I have no other applications running in the background, as this is a dedicated machine for archiving.

A few nights ago, I discovered 45Gb of files in the recycle bin, all of which were deleted DVD images that I had already burned down. Emptying the recycle bin only produced a very nominal (and shortlived) increase in performance. I, of course, use my DVD-ROM to rip - and at first, I thought it may be that the device was going bad. However, my DVD writer produced no better read times - leading me to believe that it's something more "central". I have performed normal diagnostics (i.e. disk cleanup and defrag) all to no avail. With my HD size, I sometimes rip 10 to 12 images (6 images per partition) to disk then burn down en masse, and heretofore, have had no issues.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. bill32466

bill32466 Member

Defragment your hard drive

3. kwebster

kwebster Member

Okay, but which drive? That's the first thing I thought of. I have a 120GB HD split into four partitions -- C for OS, F for Apps, G and H for images. This speed issue occured when both G and H were completely empty -- hence there was nothing to defragment. I don't see why any of the other partitions need to be defragmented -- unless I'm missing something. Are there companion files (hidden) being dumped on the C or D partition during ripping or deletion?

Thanks for your thoughts on this.

4. bill32466

bill32466 Member

If your HDDs are empty that you are ripping to try defragmenting them anyway. If this does nothing, why not do a format on them partitions and see if that helps.
    Have you tried possibly a Registry cleaning utility?
    Maybe it is dumping files on your primary drive.
    Have you noticed an unnessecary increase in used space on your OS drive.

What prog are you using to Rip DVD?

5. UKbulldog

UKbulldog Guest

Files are usually only added to the drive which you are ripping to, but if you dont have much RAM, your virtual memory swap file will increase dramitically from time to time.

Defrag the drive you rip to and the C drive (or wherever your Windows folder is, unless you moved the swap file to another drive)

6. kwebster

kwebster Member

Bill 32466:

Answers:

Have you tried possibly a Registry cleaning utility?
    A: I haven't tried cleaning the registry. Any suggestions on software for this?

Maybe it is dumping files on your primary drive.
    Have you noticed an unnessecary increase in used space on your OS drive.
    A: Haven't noticed anything amiss. I may need to look closer, however.

What prog are you using to Rip DVD?
    A: DVD Shrink 3.17b

I'll try defragging the image partitions when they are empty, then also the C: partition (OS). DVD Shrink caches the preview of a DVD when it's loading so it doesn't have to do so again the next time the DVD is inserted. I'm wondering if that has anything to do with it and where those files would be located.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll let you know how it goes.

7. Ketale

Ketale Regular member

8. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

kwebster , have you tried ripping with DVD Decrypter 3.2.1.0 before using DVD Shrink 3.1.7 by any chance ..?

9. kwebster

kwebster Member

Herbsman:

No, I haven't tried DVD Decrypter. What's your experience with the software? Does it do anything that DVD Shrink doesn't? I see you say use DVD Decrypter [bold]before[/bold] using DVD Shrink. I use CopytoDVD Pro as my burning engine, not Nero (as many do). Hence, I have to start the burn process manually, which I don't mind. Right now, I use DVD Shrink to rip and compress and CopytoDVD Pro to burn (i.e. DVD Shrink --> CopytoDVDPro). Will using DVD Decrypter introduce another step in my archiving process (i.e. DVD Decrpyter --> DVD Shrink --> CopytoDVD Pro)?

I'm interested in your thoughts.

10. chthomson

chthomson Regular member

Hi kwebster
    I too have a dedicated machine for archiving.
    You have said DMA is enaged
    All drives need to be defragged, especially C drive everything is still routed thru the C drive. When you clear out G and H are you reformatting or just deleting. There may be file leftovers that need cleaning up.
    I use DVD Decrypter 3.2.1.0 to rip to ISO. I use DVD Shrink 3.1.7 to shink the disc and save in ISO and I use DVD Decrypter 3.2.1.0 to burn the ISO image. I can batch process this way leaving the machine to process unattended while working on other projects in the house
    Let me share some observations from my burning experiences this last week. During the week I reorganized my hard drives. I was having major fragmentation on some of my drives that I store movies. Most of these files are over 6 G in size and as I reached the 75% full mark my fragmentation would increase exponentially. I have since changed the mix of files on the drives and have zero fragmentation. I have paid more attention to the fragmenation on my burning drive. Now I always defrag before and after a movie recoding session.
    Now the other detail I would like to share is ensuring the drive has DMA mode engaged. I was having trouble on Friday copying a audio CD for my kids. When I went to burn some new kids movies this weekend the burner was acting strange. It had slower burn speeds and the buffers while recording were erratic. Somehow the drive switched from DMA mode to PIO mode and I had a little work to restore DMA mode. With this correction burning speeds are back to normal. (I know you said burn times are not affected)
    I hope this helps

11. kwebster

kwebster Member

A few days ago, I noticed something interesting. Windows Device Manager has my DVD-ROM listed as a "JLMSXJ-HD166S". Is this a valid Lite-On drive?? Both Lite-On websites (liteon.com and liteonit.com) were useless, offering no information on their DVD-ROM products. I figure that something is amiss because I have an older machine with the same model Lite-On DVD-ROM installed and the Device Manager on that machine lists it as a "Lite-On" drive.

Any suggestions are welcomed and appreciated.

12. chthomson

chthomson Regular member

13. kwebster

kwebster Member

chthomson

Thanks for the response. That link is dead, though. Tell me -- is your drive a Lite-On? And if so, where do I find drivers for the stupid thing? Thanks.

14. chthomson

chthomson Regular member

Hi kwebster
    Sorry about that link - I was there today and my cut and paste needs work. Try this instead http://www.jlms.com.tw/.
    From what I can understand - Yes
    No drivers are needed with XP however there is a firmware update on that site under downloads
    I hope this helps

15. kwebster

kwebster Member

I checked out the JLMS website and save for a firmware update, there's not really a lot of additional info that can be gleaned from the site. The forum has a whopping 7 posts.

I discovered something else yesterday, too. I looked closer into the DMA issue and, as you said, the transfer mode for my DVD reader (the JLMS-XJHD1566S -- which is a valid Lite-On drive) is set for PIO Mode -- despite the fact that the "DMA if available" option is selected AND the drive is set for UDMA2 in the BIOS. What's more, I cannot get Windows to change it to DMA mode. What's up with THAT?? It's certainly possible that I was mistaken that the drive was operating in DMA mode when I built it. So the question becomes why can't this drive operate under DMA Mode?

Does anyone out there have any experience upgrading the firmware on the JLMS-XJHD166S?

16. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Hi kwebster,

Herte's a link that may help with your DMA/PIO issue:

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/hwdev/tech/storage/ide-dma.mspx

I have a JMLS-166S as well and I haven't found any updated firmwares for it on liteOn's website either, but I haven't had any problems with my drive and never needed a new firmware. JMLS stands for JVC LiteOn Manufacturing Sales so your drive is a LiteOn as you've stated :)

If your drive is stuck in PIO that definitely explains your problem.

Hope this helps :)

17. chthomson

chthomson Regular member

Hi kwebster
    I tried the firmware update and it was a no go. Seeing it is only a DVD rom, a firmware upgrade is really not needed. My drive is an OEM version of the JLMS-XJHD166S and that may the reason behind the failed update.
    I have had similar problems with a drive switching to PIO mode. To resolve the issue I went to the device manager and deleted the IDE controller that the drive was operating from. Upon reboot everything was back to normal with the DMA engaged and working and my burning problems were fixed.
    I hope this helps

18. kwebster

kwebster Member

chthomson

So let me make sure I understand you: you deleted the entire IDE controller itself or just the optical drive that was on the controller?? I deleted just the device last night to no avail. If you're saying you deleted the controller itself and this worked for you, then I'll certainly try that tonight. In this scenario, I suppose it didn't matter that there was another IDE device (i.e. the HD) on the same controller at the time did it?

Thanks for the insight!

Last edited: Apr 15, 2004
  19. chthomson

chthomson Regular member

Hi kwebster
    Both my burners are on the secondary IDE channel controller. I deleted that controller - it sets PIO or DMA - then rebooted. I checked the drive and it showed the drive using udma 2. You should be alright to delete it with the hard drive on that channel. Reboot and everything should right itself unless there are other problems. Nephilim's link to Microsoft's support has some interesting points on why this change could happen.
    I hope this helps

Last edited: Apr 15, 2004
  20. ProfesrPC

ProfesrPC Member

Another common problem is software putting auto start/autoupdate links in the registry so their software is always running. Click Start, run and type regedit.
    There are 2 keys to check. Hkey Current User\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Run, and Hkey Local Machine\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Run.
    A couple disclaimers:
    Editing the registry without knowing what you're doing could be detrimental to your system.
    Always make sure you have a backup of your registry before making changes.
    If your not sure about an entry, you can create a shortcut for it, and delete the key.
    Right click on your desktop and select new\Shortcut. Double click the entry in the registry and it will contain the path and file it is launching. Copy this field and place it in the location field of your shortcut. Click next and it will as for the name of your shortcut. Copy the name from the registry entry and paste it in your shortcut. You can now delete the key from your registry. You can double click the shortcut you created to launch the file, without having it always running every time you boot your PC.
    Good luck!