1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Increasing volume with wav files

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Spudhead, Apr 24, 2003.

1. Spudhead

Spudhead Member

Hello there,

I'm mucking around with some audio wav files, they're much too soft so I've increased the volume. Unfortunately this means that there's alot of 'fuzziness' added (I'm not familiar with the technical terms sorry).

I'm using Nero Wave Editor, is there a function in that application which allows me to fix the sound?

Thanks heaps,
    Kim

2. tigre

tigre Moderator Staff Member

The 'fuzziness' you're talking about is most likely clipping: If you increase the volume for by e.g. 6dB every sample value is multiplied by 2. Sample values that are outside the 16bit range are "cut" to 32767 (or -32768) which can distort the sound in places where this happens.

If you have thrown away the original files, there are clipping restauration tools in programs like Cool Edit Pro, but most likely you won't get a result that is equal to the original's quality.

If you still have the original files you have different possibilities depending on what you want. If it's just about PC playback, you can use replaygain (and a capable player like foobar2000) to adjust the volume losslessly. Another possibility would be a player like XMPlay that has some auto-adjusting preamp some or dynamic compression plugin (many available for winamp).

If you want to do something else that forces you to change volume permanently like recording a mixed CD, you can try dynamic compression or limiting features of wave editor programs like Nero Wave Editor or Cool Edit (time limited test version for free available) or use the diskwriting/.wav output/... functions of the mentioned audio players.

3. Spudhead

Spudhead Member

Hiya Tigre,

thanks for the info. I still have the original files and I'm looking to burn a cd compilation - the wav files are live recordings, so I guess I'm looking to limit features in Nero Wave Editor, only I'm not sure which features?

Thanks!
    Kim

4. tigre

tigre Moderator Staff Member

Use Tools -> Dynamic (I'm not sure if the name's correct as I don't have the English version) and play with the settings (while a song is played as preview) ... You'll find out how to get what you want easily.