1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Insert AC3 audio in DVDLab

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by keeper321, Sep 17, 2004.

1. keeper321

keeper321 Member

I have a 3gb mpeg2 file and 500mb ac3 sound. how do I proceed if I want it all to work in DVDLab. Im new to this software so I appreciate all help.

2. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

hi keeper321, welcome to AfterDawn!

These shouldn't be a problem. You need to click on the assets bin icon and then browse for your files. Select them and this will place them in your assets bin. If a window pops up asking if you want to demultiplex anything, go ahead and let Lab do that for you. You can get away without doing it though.

When you place files in the assets bin DVD Lab does a few checks for you and will give you an error if something is not right.

If you have not used DVD Lab much I would suggest some sort of short clip to replace your movie with.
    This is how I get my menus and button links working. By using a short clip, I can compile the project in just a few seconds and get a good idea of how all menus are working. I just browse for the output folder and play it with my media player. I use Nero Showtime.

One more thing... Previewing audio tracks in DVD Lab sucks. The drill is to drag the track from the assets bin and plop it into the preview window. This should open whatever media player you have set up to play the type of audio you are trying to check. Works OK with .wav audio but AC3 can be a problem. Don't be surprised if nothing happens.

Normally, assets in Lab are demuxed so recombining them just to preview the audio with the video is a feature that won't be coming out, acording to the deveoper.

What I had to do is tell Windows Media Player that it could play AC3. I'm sure you have seen the "Opens With" list on your file properties. Just set AC3 to open with WMA. It might work. You may have to go into WMP and make some changes there too.

Let us know how things work out, always glad to help.

Cheers,
    Frank

3. keeper321

keeper321 Member

I don't want the sound of the videofile becouse its no good. I have this ac3 file that I want instead. I want to know how I put it in the project.

When I insert the videofile I rightclick on it and select "insert to project". But when I do that with the AC3-file I only get a beep, an error beep sort of. I soppose nothing happens. I made a image-file of my created DVD so I wouldn't have to throw away any discs and the video is fine but the audio is just not there.

Help...

4. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

You have the audio in your assets bin, so if you got it in there without any problems it should work. If you have an exsisting audio track on your time line, make sure you delete that one first.

What version of DVD Lab are you using?
    What does the assets bin say about your files? There is a string of numbers and stuff associated with each file in the assets bin. Post them here so I know what you are working with.

5. keeper321

keeper321 Member

movie.mpg > Complete > 720x480 > 29.97 > 16:9 > 02:34:00 > SYS Pulldown [MPA] > Program > 3156 kbps

sound.ac3 > Complete > CH:6 > 48.0 Khz > 448 kbps > 02:34:09 > Dolby 5.1 > OK > 448 kbps

This is in the assets bin right now...
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]//Kjamiz[/small]

Last edited: Sep 19, 2004
  6. keeper321

keeper321 Member

Still no audio... I deleted the existing audio track in DVDLab and replaced it with the AC3. I made a dvd-img but when played there is still no sound. What am I doing wrong?!

7. keeper321

keeper321 Member

Im using version 1.3 by the way...

8. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

It may be that you already have an audio stream in the .mpg file. Did you let DVDL demux everything you put in your assets bin? It does have an option to not demux. It is only going to handle one audio track so if there is any audio in your .mpg then that might be a problem.

However...

Here is what I've been doing, just so you know....

I have a problem getting 6 channel ac3 into DVD Lab Pro. I have a 5 minute clip from Matrix Revolutions which only has 6 ch ac3.

The first thing I tried was to convert and demux the original .vob with DVD-to MPEG. No luck.

The next thing I tried was to put the original .vob into DVD Lab 1.3. It accepted the .vob however after compiling, the audio was not there. (I think this is the problem you are having.)

I then took the original .vob and opened it in NeroVision Express 2, using the Make a DVD-Video option. After it processed, I took the new .vob and put that into DVD Lab. (I noticed it was no longer 6 ch ac3, Nero had converted it to two channel ac3.)

DVD lab 1.3 and Pro both worked this time, accepting the 2 channel "Nero" .vob.

I made a post over at MMB forums about the problem I was having with Pro and got a reply from Oscar, The program developer. He wanted to see the ac3 file I was working with so I sent it to his server.

If you can live with 2 channel, try the NVE trick and see if that works. Let me know what you come up with.

Cheers,
    Frank

9. keeper321

keeper321 Member

So I need to Dumux the video file? I didn't do this... Is this where the sound and the video is splitted apart, and then u can remove the audio track and put the AC3 in?

10. keeper321

keeper321 Member

Well this was odd... When starting up DVD-lab wight now, I got an errir message saying the program can't open my video file... Never had this problem before. What to do?

------------------

Never mind... I restarted DVD-lab and I'm Demuxing right now... Lets see how it works out.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]//Kjamiz[/small]

Last edited: Sep 20, 2004
  11. keeper321

keeper321 Member

One more problem came up... I Demuxed the videofile inte an audio and a video file. I inserted the videofile and the AC3 audio and when I started compiling it said "Cannot packetize audio"

What does this mean?

12. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

DVD Lab is very picky what you put in it. DVD Lab, like most other serious authoring applications is designed around DV sources, not downloaded or ripped movies. Both these processes can introduce errors into the audio and video files that may cause an error or the file to be rejected. In your case there seems to be a lot of audio file problems.

As I stated earlier the workaround for this (that worked for me) was to create a new set of movie .vobs by using NeroVision Express. This program is much more tolerant than DVD Lab and seems to work OK with defective audio. In my case Nero converted the audio to 2 channel ac3. Nero was able to process the audio even with missing headers. Once Nero had made a new movie, I was then able to use DVD Lab to add a menu. Why don't you try using Nero to see if it will work for you.