1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

instaling windows XP

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by opufo1, Jan 19, 2007.

1. opufo1

opufo1 Guest

I just purchase a Lenovo thinkpad R51 refurbish for my son; the laptop has no operating system install; when I turn the lap top on I get a message "invalid system disk"
    I have been trying to install Xp but I could not get the machine to boot from the DVD; maybe there is something wrong on BIOS.
    Please help me
    Thanks in advance

2. bkf

bkf Guest

You get "invalid system disk" even if there is no disk or floppy in the machine? You could default the bios cause something ain't right. Is this xp disc orginal or a copy because it is going to need to see that autorun.inf file on the disk to do anything. If the XP disk is orginal then it's either damaged or you got a dead refurbished disc reader. or because it's a china/ibm clone it may only want to read an offical restore disc or you may also have a recovery partition. Get a copy of the manual. Laptops are so much fun.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2007
  3. opufo1

opufo1 Guest

The XP is an original version; there is no way for me to know if the DVD is working properly from the BIOS menu?

4. bkf

bkf Guest

Well default the bios and it will change the boot order back to new/normal. Just enter your bios and find the default key, click yes click save exit and reboot. And yes the bios should show all the drives you have that it knows about.

Edit: The bios will not tell you if it is working 100% but it will show you if the system see's it at all. Could be as simple as an unplugged cable.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2007