1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Install XP from multiboot USB Key Problems.

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by Pegasis, Jul 11, 2011.

1. Pegasis

Pegasis Regular member

Hello,

It's been a while since i have posted on these forums, usually posting to help, but this time it's the opposite, i will give a run down of what i am attempting and hopefully someone can shed some light on my problem.

Over the past week i have been attempting to create a multiboot USB key with 3 Windows installations.

1) XP Home

2) Windows 7 Home Premium (32-bit)

3) Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit)

Now, to achieve this i know i have to partition my USB key, so i have done so, i have 4 partitions.

The biggest problem is i can't have it multiboot ISO's because everytime i get it to boot ISO's, XP install BSOD's on me and Windows 7 says it needs CD/DVD Drivers.

Here is a line up of how my patitions are...

Partition 1) SYSTEM 100mb

Partition 2) XP 700mb

Partition 3) 32-bit 3.4gb

Partition 4) 64-bit 3.4gb

Here's what i have working so far...

I used wingrub to install the grub loader to partition 1) SYSTEM 100mb, this way i can make changes to the other partitions without affecting the loader.

From wingrub i then wrote my bootloader, (i will post it if anyone feels it is part of the problem)

Then i decided to work backwards getting windows 7 (64-bit) to work first, which i can get to work by copying over my setup folders from my Windows 7 disc and them installing bootsect to the partition myself.

The same also worked for Windows 7 (32-bit)

But when i attempt this for xp i get no response from it, i will explain better.

When i reboot to use the multiboot usb i choose my xp option, and it just continues to load windows normally.

With xp i have also tried the 2 part install with txt mode and gui mode, but with this method i get further but still no install, i get an error message saying missing or corrupt <windows root>\system32\hal.dll

So i am a little stuck, any help will be much appreciated. Thanks.

2. Pegasis

Pegasis Regular member

Solved,

As intended i now have a multiboot USB key with 3 bootable windows installations.

3. Dumpkof

Dumpkof Guest

I was reading this chain of mail
    install_xp_from_multiboot_usb_key_problems-903584

Is there a way for computer dummies like me to do it. Has anybody written a software for dummies.
    I started of actually trying to create a USB XP booter , xp Booter not an xp installer. I tried Novicorp for XP installer , it works fine , but that is not what I want. Installing BartPE is the closest to wha i want and it helps to recover files urgently in a crashed XP OS
    But I want to just boot xp from an usb flash drive.

I tried Yumi from pendrivelinux but I do not have the requisite XP iso. i am able to create an Ubuntu bootable from USB, though.