1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Installation ? of Magic 3.1

Discussion in 'PS2' started by dbzbru, Feb 10, 2003.

1. dbzbru

dbzbru Member

What is the "C" pad's function? What does it do?

2. dbzbru

dbzbru Member

HElP!

3. dbzbru

dbzbru Member

please somebody

4. dbzbru

dbzbru Member

Please anyone help!

5. jr_

jr_ Guest

I'm not sure how specific an answer you need but the C pad goes to the DVD/CD Digital Signal Processor.
    If the question is does it need it. Yes.
    Did you destroy the pad or something?

6. dbzbru

dbzbru Member

Yea i destoyed the C pad :(

7. jr_

jr_ Guest

The connection is needed but not the actual pad itself. Sorry if I mislead you I was thinking of the need for the connection.

The pads are just test points used in production. I put pads like this on boards I design for automated test equipment to check the boards after the wave solder. They don't have any funtionality. If there isn't a via or trace after it you may be ok. I would have to open mine up to be sure but you should be able to tell if this is the case.
    What you are going to have to do is solder directly to the chip just like you do on the bios.
    If that is all you did then you may be ok.
    They only show the test pads for the install because it is easier than soldering on the chip legs. Some places like the left side of the Bios there are no test pads so they show those soldered directly to the chip.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2003
  8. dbzbru

dbzbru Member

i have soldered directly to chip leg and it still dun workkk...i kno its not my bacukup because ive tested them on other moddeed ps2 system w/mag 3...i know its not my chip first i had a mag 3 so it didnt work the same way so i ordered a magic 3.1 and it is doing the same thing (this 3. is an official chip)

9. jr_

jr_ Guest

No it's very unlikely that it is the mod chip. It's just an off the shelf Microcontroller so chances of it being bad are remote and you have already tried another one.
    You probably just have something wrong with your install or your laser assemly is too marginal to read DVD's
    Do you know if you can play movies backed up on DVD-R's.?

10. L-dubb

L-dubb Regular member

When you solder to the chip leg you must make sure that it has a good connection more towards the bottom of the leg where the trace is. I have soldered to this leg after fixing a bad install and it worked fine. So I know you can do it.