1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

installed new hard drive, now PS3 error

Discussion in 'PS3 - Modding & Hacking' started by Weasrock, Oct 13, 2010.

1. Weasrock

Weasrock Regular member

I removed a 40gb hard drive and installed a 750gb WD internal HDD and now when I turn on the ps3 it says "connect controller to USB and press PS button." I have a gamestop ps3 controller but no matter what I press, it doesn't do anything. Does this mean I have to install the system info and if so will this affect the firmware? and if so how do I do this? or is it a problem with the controller
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2010
  2. AfterDawn

AfterDawn Advertisement

3. KillerBug

KillerBug Regular member

You will have to install the firmware, and you will need a controller with a PS button.
  4. coorva

coorva Regular member

yes you need the offical sony controller,,and you may have to reinstall the firmware on the new hardddrive,,some ps3 require this,,and some dont,
  5. hk2

hk2 Member

Just my two cents but, 750gb is said to be too big, the biggest you can place in it is a 640gb which I have. research it.

also if your still on firmware 3.41 you dont want to upgrade firm if you are going use the jailbreak or other clones on it.

Check maximum size allowed first before all else.
  6. KillerBug

KillerBug Regular member

From what I have heard, the only limitations are with physical size...and the newer 750GB drives are as slim at the old 640GB drives...now it is the 1TB drives that are too physically large to fit.
  7. hk2

hk2 Member

HUH? NOT physical size, but Data size!

the Fat is limited to a 640Gb drive. I dont know if its the same for a slim model.
    the unit cant read anything beyond 640GB.

read up on it. in everything ive read on net says it can only handle 640gb.
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2010
  8. KillerBug

KillerBug Regular member

I have heard multiple reports that the fat works with 2TB drives when using the ESATA adapter kit.
  9. hk2

hk2 Member

really? thats interesting I will have to look it up. but he never mentioned that kit. and you did say physical size. so its all good.

10. bigo93

bigo93 Regular member

Like it's been said, do not update to the latest firmware version.

If you are 3.41 then just download 3.41 to your PC, then add it to a usb stick, but it has to be in the following folder: /PS3/UPDATE/

Then attach usb to ps3, hold select and start as it says, then tell it to upgrade via usb.

If you are on 3.21 or 3.15 then just download the firmware you are currently on. The ps3 will then format the drive and when its done should work
  11. Weasrock

Weasrock Regular member

Ok, it's a fat so I will have to see if 750 works. If it doesn't, what esata adapter kit is compatible w ps3 and can u share a link to this. A few more questions:
    1. Do I need a wireless controller to jailbreak as there are only 2 USB ports(using ps3break 1.1)
    2. What spefically am I looking to download onto USB to format drive so I don't upgrade past 3.41 and where to get this?
    3. Has it been determined if u need retail disc to jailbreak w ps3break 1.1?
    4. And I'm assuming I'll need to set up/buy router to transfer games from my pc to ps3 internal correct?
  12. KillerBug

KillerBug Regular member

1.) No; it just must not be connected while booting; after that you can remove the jailbreak.
    2.) Google
    3.) You do not need a disk.
    4.) this is one of the ways...I find a USB hard drive works better.
  13. Weasrock

Weasrock Regular member

so to clarify...it has to be a "SONY" controller ONLY? guy at gamestop said others were "official" controllers, just not sony. these won't work to get past "connect controller" screen? Cause I've tried 2 non Sony controllers and am getting nothing. Could it be that 750 gb hdd is doing this?
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2010
  14. bigo93

bigo93 Regular member

Most games do not require a retail disc to play, but a few do even if the console is jailbroken. Then there are also some that wont work at all.
    Check www.psjcl.com for compatibility list

download 3.41 fw from here, bottom of page http://www.ps3yes.com/English/Download.aspx
  15. KillerBug

KillerBug Regular member

There are a few companies (like Logitech) that make controllers that are just as good (and just as expensive) as the DS3...sony does not seem to mind these, so long as they cost more than a DS3 and so long as they are getting a kickback from whoever made the controller. This is what "Official Controller" means.
  16. Weasrock

Weasrock Regular member

ok, just to let everyone know....

YES, you need the SONY Dual shock controller only wired into the USB when installing a new hard drive so it will be able to load the system info. no other "OFFICIAL" controller will do it

and

YES, 750 GB internal hard drives work on fat PS3 although not sure i'm getting a true 75gb space. it says after the update that 620gb's of 698gb
  17. eggman14

eggman14 Regular member

i did mine with a six axis cheap controller with usb plug in receiver worked a treat.as long as it has a ps button!!
  18. bigo93

bigo93 Regular member

A mistake everyone makes at first.

All storage media use the decimal byte not the binary, and computers use binary.
    In binary there are 1024 bytes in a kilobyte
    In decimal there are 1000.

So 750gb becomes 750*1000/1024=732gb

Also the ps3 requires some space for its system files, which it's used 34gb worth of. So that then leaves you with 698gb of useable space.
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2010
  19. KillerBug

KillerBug Regular member

Your PS3 used 34GB just for system files?!?!
  20. bigo93

bigo93 Regular member

No idea what mine used, but it looks like this guys has, does sound a little excessive especially considering it would mean the 20gb models wouldnt work :D
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2010
  21. KillerBug

KillerBug Regular member

I used to have my system running linux...PS3 OS had only 10GB, and I was able to install 5 games.