1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Installed Wiikey, just stopped reading backups

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii / Wii U' started by MrBish, Jul 17, 2007.

1. MrBish

MrBish Member

Hi,

I've read quite a few of these threads looking for an answer, but none of them seem specific to my problem.

I attempted to put in my Wiikey myself a couple of weeks ago, but soldered off a contact point by accident, so ended up sending it to the guys I bought the chip from so they could install it for me.

I've had it back for about a week now, and originals, backups and the boot disc have all worked perfectly. But for the last few days, the Wii has stopped reading my backups almost completely, despite me burning new copies on various other media at different speeds. When I put the backup in, the disc spins but then stops soon after. Originals still work fine.

The weird thing is that the backup discs are actually recognised every once in a while, so i'm not sure if the problem is with the drive or the media. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2007
  2. zengjian

zengjian Regular member

perhaps the connection is bad?

3. takhersab

takhersab Member

this happened to me too

what did was (when it was working again)
    open up the boot disc go into wiikey config and just save settings (i didn't change any thing)
    and now stragely everything is working
    if that dosent work for you try and lower your burn speed, use a good quality dvd-r and mabye lower your read speed by going in to the wiikey config

i don't know if this will help you but i suppose its worth a try

4. MrBish

MrBish Member

I called up the people who fixed my mistake for me (modchipfitters.com) and they told me it was a problem people have been having due to a new batch of the Wiikey. Apparently wiikey.cn didn't tell modchipfitters.com that they'd changed the specs of the chip, so now not enough voltage is getting to the drive in order to read backups. So i've sent it back to them so they can install an extra wire. Should be getting it back soon in working order. Thanks for the advice.

5. zengjian

zengjian Regular member

ohh, could you tell me where the extra wire would be added to?

6. vcarvalho

vcarvalho Guest

Just got the same problem here :( Yesterday I was playing RE4 with no problems, today when I turned on the console, it displayed the RE logo, I've entered the channel, but when I hit start game, it restarted the wii, and its not reading any backup (nor even those recorded on 2x changing the booktype to dvd-rom).

Originals are loaded just fine. I have wiikey for 3 1/2 months, and luckly I still have a guarantee from the guys that installed it. I'm taking to them tomorrow ASAP

Tried to load the boot disc but it does not recognize the disc as well.

I really cant believe Im going to have problem with this the same way my Qoob pro on GC. Damn!

7. ninjapath

ninjapath Regular member

i wonder why this is happening to the wiikey? The past fews week reading from here on afterdawn, it seemed this is happening to ppls more lately. Could this be a bugged in the wiikey and overtime it built up? because this never happened to other chip.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2007
  8. zengjian

zengjian Regular member

seriously, makes me sad

9. MrBish

MrBish Member

I don't know where the extra wire would go, all I know is that it needs to provide more voltage to the drive. Since modchipfitters.com seem to have recognised the problem, I assume they'll put something on that site to tell people about the changes. I'll try and find out more, should be getting my Wii back on Monday, and if it's working it's safe to say this problem can be fixed.