1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Installing a AMD 64 2800+? Need Advice

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by CKY_2084, Jan 30, 2005.

1. CKY_2084

CKY_2084 Guest

I just ordered this:
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...-details.asp?EdpNo=1212873&sku=MBM-K8NS-2800A

and I was wondering if you need to use the silcon thermal paste like you do with the Athlon Xps, because the Xp chips have little chips on top yoou put the paste on but the 64 chip has a metal housing over it so do you need to put thermal paste over it?
    Also whats the deal with the big bracket over the socket on the motherboard??

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

heatsink might have a thermal pad on it so don't need grease & that black bracket is for the new heatsink/fan that is clipped to that bracket like the p4 does as new socket is smaller than old one so harder to clip old style heatsink/fan to it. notice no tabs on either end of socket like on old socket that the heatsink/fan clipped to

3. CKY_2084

CKY_2084 Guest

Ok so I dont need thermal pasted if the HS has a thermal pad on it? And if it doesnt do I need to buy thermal paste or should I buy a thermal pad. Because I dont even see how you would put thermal paste on it because its just a flat piece of metal that covers the whole chip unlike the Athlon XP where it has a little chip in the middle. Also that bracket, so does it make it easy to attach heat sinks now because on my first system when attaching the heatsink I almost broke the CPU and that would be great if it was easier to lock down a heatsink. Is the locking mechanism on the bracket still the same or is it a whole new method of locking it down to the cpu, because Ive been waiting for them to do something like that for a long time. THANKS FOR YOU HELP

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

thermal pad will be on heatsink. bracket appears to be along the lines of a p4 bracket so heatsink/fan clips onto it not onto socket there by no damage to cpu