1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Installing a HDD on slim PS2

Discussion in 'PS2' started by Linnear, May 21, 2007.

1. Linnear

Linnear Member

Just got Final Fantasy XI Online for my son's BD (off Ebay), he has a new PS2 slim style (SCPH-77001. He got himself a new console after his other slim one's laser died (it has a Matrix Infinity in it), but he didn't want to mod it..so he could play online games.

Problem is, this game requires a HDD. How do we go about putting a HDD on his unit so he can play this game? If he gets a external USB case and a normal computer HDD and plugs it into his USB port, will this work? If this is a repeat question, I apologize, I have looked at alot of posts but just not sure if they are relevant and not about unit's with a mod chip installed.
    I've read about this HD Combo add on, but is this just for a console that only has a mod chip?

Any help clarifying is appreciated!

Last edited: May 21, 2007
  2. NHS2008

NHS2008 Regular member

You can't get that game working without MODCHIP.

You can't even get it HD COMBOED as it only supports V12-13 PS2s and yours is a V16.(You wont be needing a modchip with HDcombo if you wish to use Official Sony HDD for PS2 40GB0

I am sorry to tell you but you won't be able to play that game.
    as it needs internal Harddisk which in not possible in slim ps2(Not in your version ony in older slim versions)

You can however PLAY ONLINE with Mod-chip which has SLEEP MODE.
    prefferably Crystal Chip 2.

3. Linnear

Linnear Member

Alright thanks for the reply, will just take it in and he can swap it for some other game. Its pretty ridiculous that Sony would make it so difficult to add a external HDD onto a console, so you can play games like these and others without having so many issues. Why the slimline style anyway? The bigger models could take the drive right into the back of them, no problems...too easy I guess!

4. NHS2008

NHS2008 Regular member

Well, Slimline edition was never meant for HDD.

Yeah that would have been good for us.
    But it would hove been only a loss for Sony.

Because they could pack all of that in small case and also much conveinient had built-in online capability and SLIM!!
    And also there wasn't much HDD based activity in market(official and legal) and sales were poor (again the same thing) so Sony decided to giveup on it.

Yes but slims were not made for HDD at all.
    HD-COMBO is not something Sony would approve.

Clarified!

5. NHS2008

NHS2008 Regular member

Sorry it was a double post

Last edited: May 21, 2007
  6. Linnear

Linnear Member

It seems xbox is doing ok with their built in hard drive, no? So you are telling me that most of the activity when you have a HDD is illegal stuff (copied games) if so then I was not aware of it (I'm a dad that is not into this video game stuff very much...just trying to help out son with his)

7. NHS2008

NHS2008 Regular member

Not neccessarily ILLIGAL you can call unofficial . but you never know. with a MOD-CHIP and harddrive and suitable PS2 you can do whatever you want.
    Watch movie (d/l off internet).
    play games (d/l off internet).
    Listen to Mp3 (d/l off internet).

Xbox is good but you dont get variety there and are they still making games for XBOX?

Your sons really lucky his dad helps him out in videogames stuff.

8. steimy

steimy Active member

"Xbox is good but you dont get variety there and are they still making games for XBOX?"

They are still making them, but not that many. I think i saw two games listed on a site as coming soon for Xbox. But as a system they Xbox is great. If you do not play online then making it into a great gaming system and a full multimedia system is super easy compared to PS2. I have both systems and i prefer my modded Xbox over my modded PS2 (and my slimline V12 has an internal HDD as well). Most of the games that are released these days come out for both PS2 and Xbox. Each console has a few unique titles that are only made for them, but not that many.

9. gamebox

gamebox Member

MasterChu thanx for all your job it was great to learn some thing in ps2 with hdd any way i have a small qutition for and plz can you send answer on my mail..

i have don things to make my ps2 slim read hdd usb with ac power

i make download for image of usb advanc .cue

i burn on cd sony with alcohol 120 and it work fine

now i can see inter face of usb advanc program on my tv screan

but still can't see my usb hdd what can i do for that my hdd was

format with ntfs .....so help me plz thanx and bye ..

10. NHS2008

NHS2008 Regular member

It needs to be in FAT32 format to be used with USBAdvanced.

11. NHS2008

NHS2008 Regular member

It needs to be in FAT format to be used with USBAdvanced.

12. 5h4d0wXXX

5h4d0wXXX Member

dont buy a usb hd it will not work buy the hd combo for the internal hd for the slim and also you can mod your ps2 and still play online all you have to do is use a softmod.