1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Installing External HDD and Adding it Internally

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by DVD7227, Jan 29, 2012.

1. DVD7227

DVD7227 Regular member

Hi Guys,

Need your help real quick as maybe you guys will guide me through this process without deleting the data on the drive.

I had 3 externals western digitals with NTFS partitions and have important data on it.

What I want to do is take this drives and add them internally into my pc.

I have the ports available on the motherboard and attached everything carefully.

As I boot I notice my drives are not recognised and I goto Disk Management and see that they are not recognised, it asks me if I want to put them as MBR or GPT.

I put the correct one for each one, and I see that in order to use these drives I have to partition them to get recognised by windows.

My question is

1. Can I partition these drives without deleting the data on it, and how?

2. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Left column in disk management where discs are listed from 0- onwards does it say initialize if so do it then do the following....

regardless if above had to be done,does it show anywhere NTFS without an assigned partition letter regardless see if you can assign one,right click on partition space and add the letter,you could also try a free partitioning tool like minitool or easeus

3. DVD7227

DVD7227 Regular member

Here's a better view of things.

[​IMG]

Here's a few pics from Disk Management

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  4. DVD7227

DVD7227 Regular member

Also I have data on these drives I do not want to delete them.

5. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Data is still there,if you can't assign a drive letter it suggests the mbr disc arrangement has been been wiped,most probably because the hdd was from an external & possibly formatted on another machine or not,chances are running a linux distro may see the ntfs partition or not,you may find putting one of them back in the housing the partitions will not appear to be there,i can't help further apart from advising you to run easeus or minitool data recovery,they both have partition recovery software as well that's free,however the latter is used as a last resort,run easeus first & recover data to a spare hdd ,then at this time you attempt partition recovery,do the same for the other,UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES format or write to the affected drives,see your pm box as to another option