1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Installing Linux with XP

Discussion in 'Linux - General discussion' started by misty2055, Feb 1, 2007.

1. misty2055

misty2055 Member

I am new to linux and would like to install it on the same HD as my current XP. At present this is on a 200GB drive with no seperate partition. The version of Linux is XP 2007 which I believe is based on Fedora. It is a Live CD but gives the option to install.
    As I have not partitioned a HD before I would appreciate advice on doing this. (I have been told that Linux will automatically create its own partition during install but that sounds too easy!)

I would like the option of choosing the boot OS as well.

Thanks

2. lecsiy

lecsiy Regular member

Ok,

If i were you id download Gparted Live. This is like your live linux diistro. Now do as you would for your current with this gparted live. Once at the menu screen for gparted live you should see your harddrive with a single partition. Click that partition and then click re-size. Make this as small as you want it (This will be the new size of the partition thats running windows) Now when you instatll your distro just chose the option to use the free space on your harddrive. This should then install your distro onto the free space youve created!

Lecsiy

P.s I hope you dont mind me using your question in the FAQ for my guide!
    Any problems with that just contact me :)

Last edited: Feb 1, 2007
  3. misty2055

misty2055 Member

Thanks for that advice. No problem with you using my question in your guide.
    Can I just ask you what you would suggest as parition sizes bearing in mind that my HD is 200GB. Also I have heard a lot about Linux being fairly immune to virus attack. Not sure how true or safe that is! Will my existing Firewall and Antivirus work across both partitions?

Thanks again.

4. fulhack

fulhack Member

Linux will play fine with a smaller partition, providing that you do not intend to store media on it, such as music and movies (You could keep these in your Windows environment and still access them from Linux). To answer your question, 10 GiB should suffice.

Linux *is* fairly immune to viruses, and there are not a lot of antiviral applications available. You are not likely to need antivirus. There are many firewall solutions available, I'm not sure whether your distribution in particular carries one, though. The answer here is, no, your windows AV and firewall will *not* protect your Linux partition.

By the way, if you're planning on resizing your Windows partition, it's a good idea to defragment it first with Windows' built-in tools because of the way NTFS works. If you don't do this, you're likely to chop off some data and render the disk unbootable.

Have fun!

5. misty2055

misty2055 Member

Thanks very much. You have been very helpful. Does it matter whether Linux is placed infront of or behind Windows?

6. lecsiy

lecsiy Regular member

What do you mean by that? On the partition table? If so then no it doesnt matter.

7. misty2055

misty2055 Member

I was just checking to see if I needed to create the partition so that Linux was installed after Windows or if it had to be first on the drive?. Again I have read different threads. At present I have created a partition after Windows and will install it there unless that is not recommended.

8. lecsiy

lecsiy Regular member

This shouldn't be a problem. What will happen is when linux is installed youl have something most probably called GRUB boot loader. From this youl have the option of your linux + your windows!

Lecsiy

9. misty2055

misty2055 Member

Thanks to everyone who has helped me so far. It's great to know that expert opinion and experience can be shared so easily.

Regards

10. lecsiy

lecsiy Regular member

Its cool! Just remember to come back to us and tell us how it goes!!

Good luck mate!

Lecsiy

11. misty2055

misty2055 Member

Just an update. Linux installed as advised and working perfectly.

Thanks

12. lecsiy

lecsiy Regular member

Enjoy :)

Seriously it'l be different but stick with it and youl get more out of it than windows ever gave you.