1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Installing mod-chip?

Discussion in 'PS2' started by Pman1130, Nov 15, 2004.

1. Pman1130

Pman1130 Member

I am thinking about installing a modchip in my PS2, but I am a little weary about the installation, and reliability.

First of all I am wondering if it is as easy as the web sites say with only 12 wires...or is this a difficult soldering project that can take a long time. I am also wondering what kind of risks am running while trying to install the mod-chip.Could I destroy my PS2 if a little solder runs over somewhere its not supposed to.

My second main question is can a mod chip destroy your PS2 even with proper installation? I have a friend whos PS2 doesn't work very good since installing the mod.

I'm looking for anyone who can answer my questions,preferably those who have succesful installed a mod-chip.

P.S. Are there any recommendations for sites with swap free, solder free mod chips?

-Pman

2. nelswick

nelswick Regular member

i recommend you send it out to be installed. after you buy an iron, solder, and all the other sutff it is about 40 dollars so you might as well just pay 50 and get a professional installation. i ruined my first ps2 but then had a successful install on a friends ps2.

3. Pman1130

Pman1130 Member

Thanks for the reply.

I do have an soldering iron and sufficient solder, is this something I could possibly do, or does it take quite a lot of skill?

And any ideas on how pig of this we are talking about soldering?

-Pman

4. Pman1130

Pman1130 Member

In my last post i was trying to ask wat size wires and circuits we are talking about?

Srry for the confusion.

-Pman

5. nelswick

nelswick Regular member

6. Pman1130

Pman1130 Member

Thanks for the help.

I think I might end up better off with a plug in chip, or a swap disc.

If anyone has any recomondations for either of the mod types named above that they have found to work well please share.(EX:the SWAP MAGIC PS2 BOOT DISC)

-Pman