1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Installing new version of DVD Decryptor

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by qc95, Jan 5, 2005.

1. qc95

qc95 Member

Do I need to uninstall my old version of DVD Decryptor before I update to this newer version that was just released, or can I just update it like I would update Norton Anitvirus for instance? I haven't had anyproblems thus far backing up any of my discs with the current version....but should I update it regarless?

2. jr13030

jr13030 Guest

I, too, wonder the same thing. I have had a near PERFECT success rating backing up each and every one of my DVDs (over 300). Do I dare try to fix something that isn't broken? (By the way, I use DVD Shrink, then DVD Decrypter, following Scuba Pete's directions to the letter. PERFECT every time.) What advantages would I see in the update?

3. seanjohn1

seanjohn1 Guest

yeah u guys should definelty update to the new DVDdecrypter 3.5.2.0
    if u dont u wont be able to copy new movies that have the new encryption for example like resident evil 2, little black book, and i think the forgotten,
    this new DVDdecrypter can burn anything

4. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

when you install the new version, it asks if you want to uninstall the old version, choose yes.

5. Weirdo007

Weirdo007 Regular member

Simply uninstall it. Then install the new version.

6. bardie

bardie Regular member

I just installed the new one and it appears ok, I guess if you don't like it you could uninstall it and put the older one back on.......but I'm sure that would be a backward step.

7. cougar_ii

cougar_ii Regular member

Hi there,

I read a few times, people are saying that the new DVD Decrypter v3.5.2.0 rips a little slower.

I guess it might be true if it's removing more protection that the older versions.

I just installed it but did not try it yet...

8. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

The newest version of Decrypter will definitely read slower on discs that have Sony's new protection because it forces Decrypter to slow down when it hits the bad sectors :)

9. tsoundguy

tsoundguy Member

As far as I've noticed, The new version of Decrypter runs just as fast as previous versions on discs with the OLD protection schemes. The new releases with new protections seem to rip slower, but it sure is a small price to pay for GREAT, USEFUL software.

Best,

T.

10. sirmugen

sirmugen Regular member

I am getting slower rips with the new Decrypter and also is taking up a lot of my system resources. I use to be able to multitask, but now I am only able to rip, if I do anything else... the system slooows down.

Can anyone help, I think I'm just going to buy a new DVDROM to just rip, since my max was only at 2X and now its down to 1.7X.

sirmugen

11. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

The new version made my buffers very unstable with my nec 3500 burning at 12x. With 3.5.1 they were rock solid. With burnproof enabled the burns still turned out fine. But until I run into a disk that 3.5.1 can't decrypt, I'm sticking with 3.5.1.

12. Pontistv

Pontistv Member

Where can I find an older version 3.5.1.0 of Decrypter to download? Every place that I've tried has a missing link.

13. asystole

asystole Member

yes you have to uninstall old version but it will prompt you if you just try to install new version over it. SO it is quit simple to to do. just download ,once finished, click on set up and follow directions- once again it should prompt to uninstall old version first should click on yes (with my XP it did anyways). It is slower but you have to go slow vs no ripping at all for these new movies, and other companies will follow in time so all programs will needed to be updated sooner or later lets just be glad DVD Decrypter was on top of it all for those of us whom enjoy backing up. I first try DVD Shrink and if it cant rip then i go for dvd decrypter but thats just me.

asystole

Last edited: Jan 28, 2005
  14. sirmugen

sirmugen Regular member

Pontistv

If you send me your emial via PM, I can email you the version of Decrypter you want.

sirmugen

15. Pontistv

Pontistv Member

Thank you, but I finally found it somewhere... I reinstalled 3.5.1.0 and it seems to be back up to speed so far. I guess if I run across that new copy protection, I'll have to switch back. Hopefully the author can come up with the best of both worlds in his next version.

16. sirmugen

sirmugen Regular member

Me too Pontistv

:)

sirmugen

17. Pontistv

Pontistv Member

OK, after switching back I noticed it was faster, but still didn't seem as fast as it was before. I checked my preferences and saw where read speed was set to MAX, but without the box being checked it wasn't highlighted. I checked the box and left it set to MAX, and it sped up. The same movie that started out at 2.x X started out at 5.x X the second time. Not sure if this is coincidence or what, but I saw an immediate improvement.

Note: never tried this trick with 3.5.2.0.

18. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

Pontistv: It seems to help in some cases, but not all, for version 3.5.2. I would recommend doing it anyway.

19. Pontistv

Pontistv Member

I wonder if it doesn't have something to do with my plextor and "speed read".