1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

installing printer

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by rtrg, Oct 6, 2015.

1. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

Please move as needed. I am trying to install the driver for a BROTHER MFC8500 printer that is NOT here yet. It uses a win zip type dialog box to extract the 18 files. At the top in BLUE is the destination folder starting with "DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS". A long folder name. The files are extracted. I then open the printers screen/ add printer/ select BROTHER/ printer is NOT in the list/ select "HAVE DISK"/ enter either the same folder name given from the dialog box or C:|bro as suggested by the website.. Error "NO INFO FOUND IN FOLDER" appears. Do I need to have the printer connected and powered in order for this process to work? I do not have the cd nor can I find one. Solution please. XP version IS listed on the site and elseware.

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

did you try to install from the folder you extracted the files to as that is what I usually do instead of "add printer" the way you are doing it?

3. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Brother printers usually need to be running before running the driver installer,the driver installer usually searches for the printer.

4. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

BROTHER

5. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

I will wait until the printer is here and connected and try again. This is the first time I tried to install a driver without the device connected.