1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Installing the Second hardrive

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by cremos, Jan 8, 2007.

1. cremos

cremos Member

hi guys

i have installed a second hardrive. And i cannot access it. Apparently i need to format the hardrive. One problem thouhg is that i have lost the xp cd. Yes lost it is not pirated it is legit for all those doubters out there. Yer so can anyone help me out on how to continue installation of my second hardrive.

any help would be greatly appreciated

thx

2. bkf

bkf Guest

Im not sure if I understand the question. You have a drive that contains the OS and your adding a second drive. If so just go to disk managment in the control panel and format it. If you still have your orginal keys you can copy somebody else's XP disk and still use your keys.

3. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

To add to BKF's info....most if not all, new drives come with an installation disk. That can be used to partition/format the drive as well.

4. basquiat

basquiat Regular member

if your still lost open my computer right click on the drive and click format.

5. basquiat

basquiat Regular member

also if you dont have any files need to be securely erased then check quick format and it will take a few seconds, otherwise depending on the size of the disk it can take awhile...not sure how long exactly, been awhile since i did a real format on a disk.

edit: damn sorry for the double post, meant to hit edit and hit quote...sorry brain fart.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2007
  6. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

@basq....

Remember, just after installing a new drive it's going to need to be partitioned. Just right click/format may not work. The option isn't even there if there is no partition.

:)

7. basquiat

basquiat Regular member

thats true, thanx for reminding, can you tell im not used to buying new things...

8. cremos

cremos Member

hey, um when i go into disk managment it doesnt show up as a volume but it shows up down the bottom as disk 0. but yer it doesnt show up in my computer

9. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

Then it needs to be partitioned with a partition manager like partition magic, or a similar program.
    Try looking for Hiren's BootCD, download that, burn it to a cd, and run it when starting up your computer.
    It will give you several partition managers to choose from.

10. cremos

cremos Member

I got it to work now. What i had to do is change the letter of my dvd rom drive. Then i could partition it and format it. Thanks anyway for ure help dudes.