1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

installing/uninstalling codecs

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by oldnugly, Feb 3, 2004.

1. oldnugly

oldnugly Member

Good Morning,
    While trying to convert files as described in my previous post I visited:
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/48608
    in order to get a comprehensive picture of the required codecs. Unfortunately I am stuck on step (1) listed below:

STEP-BY-STEP CODECs
    1. UNINSTALL ALL YOUR CODECS (DivX, Nimo, XviD, etc)

I looked at this and said to myself, "How"? Then I though perhaps the best thing would be to ask. So I am asking since I have no idea where they are and what they are.

Just a tad confused.
    F.

2. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Hehe next time post something like this in that topic so that similar things stay together :) I almost missed this one :)

Odds are, if you havnt installed any codecs (i.e., the DivX Codec, NIMO Codec Pack or antyhign else) then you dont have them on your computer to start with :)

3. oldnugly

oldnugly Member

Thanks P,

I appreciate the quick get back. I've got your article local now so I'll start getting them.

f.

4. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

No problem :)

5. Minion

Minion Senior member

Generally Speaking if you Just need Codecs for watching Video files then you can get away with JUST installing the "FFDshow Decoder" ,It will Decode allmost any Format Includeing any Mpeg-4 Format Like DiVx or XviD WMV ,DV and many more, But if you are useing Codecs for encodeing then you should Only install the Codecs that you will use..Installing Codec Packs like Nemo will Cause More Problems than it solves because Many codecs with Conflict with each other.....The Only Codec Pack that I would recomend would be the Tsunami-Mini codec Pack which Installs Codecs that do not seem to conflict with each other and it installes so pretty Good Tools also....Cheers

6. oldnugly

oldnugly Member

Minion said:
    > Generally Speaking if you Just need Codecs fo........

Thank you very much. The idea is just to take AVI, WMV, and perhaps Real and convert them to mpeg. Plain old Quicktime that I have converts to mpeg4 if I need that. It's getting them from that darn wmv and ra......

As I said, thanks for the tips which will hopefully let me put in a limited number just to do the above.

For burning I use recordnow-max 4.5 which seems to do a very good job. As you can see I'm new to this.

take care,

f.