1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Installing Vista

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by Discmania, Feb 17, 2007.

1. Discmania

Discmania Active member

I have 2 hard drives on my PC. Currently XP and all applications are installed on C drive with all my files & Folders on D drive. I have tried installing Windows Vista on C drive assuming that it would automatically format and make a clean install. However it seems to only want to install on a partition on a drive that has enough free disc space. In other words it won't format C drive. I only have 4gb of free disc space so it won't install. I've tried manually formatting C drive but I keep getting error messages and the disc refuses to format. I don't really want to partition C drive as I don't see the point. I am still going to have to re-install all applications to work with Vista and I don't want there being any confusion with XP installed on a different partition. Can anyone offer advice with this? How can I format C drive? Also I assume I'm correct in saying that if Vista installs on C drive, my files and folders on D drive will be unaffected?

2. kateman

kateman Regular member

did the format disk you are useing come with the computer you are trying to format?

i dont see what d drive would be effected

3. Discmania

Discmania Active member

You should be able to right click and choose format from the menu which I did. However it doesn't work. I've mislaid the installation disc which came with the PC so don't know how to format C drive. I know it can be done, so if someone knows how, please let me know. Meantime I've created a partition on D drive and will install Vista on that. At least I will be able to see how it's working. I have no idea why Vista will not format the drive you install it on - maybe it doesn't trust itself?

4. AXT

AXT Guest

After you type your cd key for vista you should get an option to partition your drive. I don't know how it work with a OEM or Upgrade disk. I believe that with OEM or upgrade you cannot do a clean install,but once again i don't know.

5. kateman

kateman Regular member

i think it changes from different pc's. but its not looking good from where iam standing :S
    soz, cant help you anymore from here on

6. xaznboitx

xaznboitx Regular member

Insert the disc.

Then I think you press F 11 or something. and a blue screen should show up and ask you to reformat or delete the partion or whatever you just said hehe.

On my computer, it always install to C drive if I install it from the desktop. If I install it from that blue screen that I descriped above, it lets me choose which drive to install or delete other OS.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2007
  7. Discmania

Discmania Active member

Yes but there is not enough space on my C drive to install it. There is no option to format the drive as there was with XP. Pressing F11 doesn't work.

Installing to a partition is a good idea I suppose because it gives you a chance to test drive Vista with different applications before using it as the main OS (it might best to delay this until more software is Vista compatible), though Microsoft have not given any explanation as to why it will only install to a blank HD or partition. I can always go back to XP on the other HD if I need to meantime. Still there must be another way of formatting C drive when I need to - any techs out there?

For your info, no matter what version of Vista you are installing the DVD is exactly the same. The version you get depends simply on the keycode you have purchased. The only exception to this maybe the upgrade version, though again this option is available on the main disc.