1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Installing windows 7 on new PC build problem?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Msnooks, Feb 15, 2014.

1. Msnooks

Msnooks Newbie

Hi there,

Yesterday i built new rig up which consists of intel i7 4770k, gigabyte ga-z87x-ud4h
    and i seem to have a real problem trying to install windows 7.

The mobo has new features such as this uefi stuff and dual bios. Now i am not used to all this and i have tried dialing in legacy, uefi, achi and ide settings in bios and no matter what i try windows 7 always hangs and gets stuck expanding the files.

I have tried my disc in my external dvd drive, my internal sata drive and even made a bootable usb and still nothing. The highest i have seen it go is 86%. every other time has been lower around 15-25% and i left the computer on over night to do it's thing.

I read that the uefi stuff is mainly windows 8 but can be used on win 7 64bit which is what i am using. I never had a problem installing win 7 on my older rig gigabyte x58 with intel i7 920.

Anyone have any ideas because i don't have a clue and wasted almost a full day trying to sort this.

regards,

Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
  2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

try another optical drive. check that there is no scratches or smudges on the win7 disk. if using more than 1 stick of ram then try using 1 stick at a time to see if loads properly.

3. Msnooks

Msnooks Newbie

yeah i did that, stripped the computer down to on board intel graphics 1 stick of ram etc. i managed to load up win 7 using rufus to make a bootable uefi win 7 usb stick, managed to install all that and load windows. I restarted it and then it was back to square one and have this windows boot manage loop going round and round. Tried repairing start up, it knew windows 7 was on there but it didn't fix it at all :-/ been at this a whole day now

4. ddp

i presume the win7 disk when gettimg ready to install sees the hard drive ok?

5. Msnooks

Msnooks Newbie

Yeah it seems to be ok. Its a seagate hybrid ssd/hdd 1TB. I got it a few months ago. It was running my system fine on my old rig. I thought i could do with a clean up and make sure no drivers clash since am using all new parts.

I am using an external freecom dvd drive. I never had a problem before with it but i keep getting loads of 0x800... errors amongst a few others with this new rig. I just dont get all this new UEFI stuff.

Before i always had to install win 7 with IDE settings in bios and then regedit later to change over to ahci mode through windows.

6. ddp

do both motherboards use the same type of ram as in ddr3?

7. Msnooks

Msnooks Newbie

yes they did. 12gb vengence ram. 3 sticks of 4 because my other motherboard was triple channel and this one is dual channel

8. ddp

do you still have the other board working?

9. Msnooks

Msnooks Newbie

its all stripped out. i took the supply, ram and drives out and put it in the new rig. It booted up fine when the existing windows 7 was on it. Its only been giving me grief since i tried to clean install with UEFI settings, csm on, secure boot off.

I have just had an error from my sata dvd drive and windows disc, windows cannot install required files error code 0x80070002 i also had one ending in 75D i think. I have had quite a few.

But when it did finally install from usb stick, i am not sure why it made windows boot manager partition number one and then went in to a reboot cycle.

10. ddp

can the new cpu work on the old motherboard? trying to see what is causing the problems so if new cpu will work on old board than we'll see if still have a problem or not.

11. Msnooks

Msnooks Newbie

no it doesn't. The old mobo is a 1366 socket and the new one is 1150 socket. reason i upgraded is so i could change the graphics card since pci-e 3.0 cards didnt work in the pci-e 2.0 on the old mobo. I should but didn't.

I have been trying to read up everywhere on this installation matter. Its really starting to frustrate me as well.

Do you have a system that runs this UEFI and dual bios etc?

12. ddp

had to downgrade a win8 laptop to win7 that had that uefi but don't know if had dual bios. would not let me boot off win7 disk so changed the settings like secure boot off & win7 dvd was now able to boot. did not have the issues you had except for a working win7 intel video driver that i finally got when doing the windows updates.

13. Msnooks

Msnooks Newbie

It's the settings that throw me. I have

Cms always on

Boot mode selection - UEFI and legacy, legacy only or UEFI only
    Storage boot option control - disable, legacy only, UEFI only, legacy first or UEFI first
    Gsata - disabled don't use it
    Sata - set to ahci

Just so confusing. My windows disc gives out errors when expanding files. It seems to be
    Totally useless and fails every time.

Almost 2 days been at this now

14. ddp

when expanding files, is this before or after the hard drive is partitioned & formated?

15. Msnooks

Msnooks Newbie

Windows starts copying files and expanding windows files after I partition
    The blank drive. I even run disk part and clean it just to be sure
    It's set to gtp

16. ddp

i presume the drive is also formated after partitioning? why gtp instead of ntfs? do you know anybody who has a motherboard that has the same socket set as your new cpu uses? right now i think you have a defective motherboard because of those error code messages or the ram is not compatible with that board thereby causing those error messages. had that happen on a brand new system i was setting up for a customer a few years ago that was using ddr2 ram that was defective which was giving me those type of error messages. replaced the ram & windows was able to install with no problem except that the new videocard was also defective.

17. Msnooks

Msnooks Newbie

The UEFI is gtp and uses that especially for win 8 but can be done on win 7 64bit. Suppose to have an advantage over the
    Standard MBR and ntfs stuff. I can try non UEFI stuff and go back to legacy see if that's works. The UEFI gtp format is suppose
    To support over 2.2tb drives better. I have been reading up these past few days and still
    Haven't come across much on this.

There is something on the windows seven forum about installing windows 7 as UEFI but they make
    It sound so easy.

I have used gigabyte boards for over 10 years now and not had anything defective. I bought a new system mobo, CPU, gpu, case and things. Everything else I have used is not that old and worked perfectly fine on my old first gen i7.

Totally baffled me to be honest

18. ddp

check that your ram is compatible with that board. do you know anybody else who uses ddr3 ram that you could borrow a stick to see if still getting those errors?

19. Msnooks

Msnooks Newbie

Am using 1600 ddr3. It should be fine as the board supports 1333 and 1600. I do have some
    Old 1333 corsair stashed in the draw.

I tried the old ones and still the same. I have managed to load up windows on the legacy efi stuff like my old system
    Was running with ntfs. It would be nice to know what's going on with the UEFI gpt settings.

It could be my USB and things like that coz I read that win 7 is not usb 3 native. Where as win 8
    It is native. So maybe have to disable all that.

I might try the UEFI boot on a diff drive now classic way is showing some progress

20. ddp

download the win7 usb3 driver as that is what i had to do on the laptop downgrade. does your win7 come with sp1 or do you have to download & install it? remember to install all the motherboard drivers except for the onboard video as you have seperate videocard.