1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Installing windows XP onto a external HDD in a USB caddy.

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by rabbitez, Jun 4, 2007.

1. rabbitez

rabbitez Member

Ok, I need help badly, I have a external laptop 2.5 hdd, and a usb caddy.

as most people know, trying to install windows on to an external hdd fails, with the error "windows cannot access this" ro something of similar annoyance.

I want to install windows onto my IBM 240x's HD, and then plug into my 240x so I may boot it and use it. (I am not using a CD drive.)

So, I need to know if I can install windows on this HDD. I have a desktop running windows, with USB boot support (the 240x doesn't boot USB)

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks for your time.

Rabbitez.

2. MasterChu

MasterChu Guest

Moving to Langjökull in Iceland - so all the info I posted is moving with me!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2007
  3. rabbitez

rabbitez Member

Yes, that's a minimal windows.

4. MasterChu

MasterChu Guest

5. rabbitez

rabbitez Member

Cheers mate, I will try this eagerly tomorrow :D

yeah, heh, I tried manual install by just using the I356 folder, and copying to the HDD, and then using essnetial boot tools by nerdlabs (the village idiot) to boot the setup file, my friend did it and his worked, but mine froze, that method you gave me does look promising. HOWEVER, I stole my dad's HDD, (his laptop has a CD drive) which I recently installed XP on, I then put it in my 240x, and it didn't work, it just didn't boot windows, (said windows did not shut down properly, rebooted, said the same, so it carried on in a loop)

is your method basically the same?

Why does windows refuse to install on a hdd usb caddy?

microsoft lazy bastards?

6. MasterChu

MasterChu Guest

7. rabbitez

rabbitez Member

tried and faile,d windows refuses to install window on my USB hdd, it says it can't access it or something, and yes, the cables were all unplugged to my other HDD's.

I am using windows xp pro corp, and after formatting the hdd, windows won't install on it, as it can't access it properly.

any ideas why?

8. rabbitez

rabbitez Member

anyways, i'll try with my dad's laptop, because that seems a lot more promising :D

but yeah, It would be great if you could get it to install on my USB drive with windows setup. :p

9. rabbitez

rabbitez Member

no dice I am afraid, after using the laptop method, and putting into my 240x, it boots, it loads, and it blue screen of deaths itself about half a second after the windows logo appears.

gr. ill try manual install again, and with a different disc (the disk has an nasty mark on it.)