1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

installing xp on sata w/o drivers on floppy

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by smackfrog, Mar 11, 2005.

1. smackfrog

smackfrog Member

I just built my new system and wanted to install XP on my Maxtor 80gb SATA. So, I read that I need to setup a floppy w/ the drivers on it to load at the beginning of windows install. Well, for whatever reason, I have 2 different floppy drives that will not work in my system (don't know if its the cable or connection, or mobo or what). So, is there any way to do this w/o using a floppy, I am doubting, but hoping, so I have installed xp on my regular ATA drive for now. My floppy shows up in my computer, but even when I try to format a disk, or read one, I get a response of "device not ready" or "no disk present", but the floppy drive doesn't even make a noise like its working, and it works in another computer.

2. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

You have built a 'new system', your floppy will not work, and you
    Well you need to get it working.
    Many new PCs do not have floppies, and this can be a problem still these days.
    Maybe you could burn those SATA drivers to CD?
    Or, your ATA C:\ could be System drive (containing boot files), and if IT contains the SATA drivers then your SATA could be Boot drive (containing OS).
    But check both the cabling and BIOS setup for that floppy...
    Regards

3. Mr_Del

Mr_Del Regular member

Last edited: Mar 12, 2005
  4. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Have a look in your BIOS, if it can detect your sata drive and there is an option to boot to it, then more than likely you may not require the drivers to be installed.

I have a Gigabyte Motherboard that allows me to to boot to sata and did not require the drivers to be loaded.(BIOS/CMOS function)

However I also have an Asrock Motherboard that will not allow me to boot to sata (unless the drivers have been loaded first), via OS setup (F6)

Worth checking your BIOS to see if you have this function in there already.

But as The_OGS suggested, better to troubleshoot the floppy, as there will always be cases when you will need it and the fact that alot of PC's are being manufactured without them can cause some issues.

The floppy works in another machine, therefore it is a cable or connection problem in your system.
    Check for bent pins and correct orientation of the cable (twisted part should go on the rear of the drive).
    Oh, and make sure the power connector is plugged in the correct way round.