1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Installing Your Own Hard Drive

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by KEVIN51, Feb 14, 2005.

1. KEVIN51

KEVIN51 Member

I was wondering if you could install your own hard drive into a DVD recorder, which does not have a hard drive already in it. Is this possible?

Thanks

2. marquis64

marquis64 Member

Sounds simple but not. There are a few factors you haven't considered.

Most of the DVD players/burners have firmware that specifically controls the electronics of the DVD player/burner.

What would be required is to hack into the circuity just to get the HD interface to be recognized, then you would have to rewrite the firmware to set in motion the control and use of the HD.

Unless you want to spend a LOT of time reverse engineering the firmware, I suggest you spend a few more dollars and upgrade to a better system that supports the HD.

Examples are Consumers March Choice The Pioneer 520 and the Panasonic E85. 2 great machines

If $500.00 is too much consider going to Sound Advice and talk them out of a Panasonic 810 but beware. It may be used. I was able to get one for $288.00 but it was bad.

Deals are available. You just got to look.