1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

InstallShield keeps crashing...

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by smills, Dec 5, 2007.

1. smills

smills Member

Hi all,

I have Windows XP SP2 with up to date updates. I reinstalled XP about 4 months ago, and have just got round to installing a few games, using their .cue files which I stored from my last install.

The problem is, that each time I try to install a game (whether it be Rise of Nations or simply Red ALert!), the setup program which prepares InInstallShield Wizard freezes at 24%. In task manager, it shows Setup is not responding, and that LgoBitmapWin is not responding. When I try to end task for either of these (at present it shows two setups not responding in task manager) it says it is not responding and I send an error report, but the tasks still appear in task manager and the frozen installshield bar in the bottom right remains. I then cannot shut down or reboot windows THROUGH windows, but have to do so by just turning the computer off.

Also, when I try and cancel the tasks, it says that a program NVCDM.exe - or something like that, for at present I can't even get to the error report - has stopped responding.

Does anyone have any idea what's wrong?

Thanks in advance,

Si.

2. smills

smills Member

update:

I think the problem is with ntvdm.exe, which as far as I can gather is something that allows the program to run in windows 95 compatibility mode (i.e. run a 16-bit virtual machine). It is this program which keeps crashing.