1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

instant messenger

Discussion in 'AfterDawn feedback & suggestions' started by mimans21, Nov 11, 2004.

1. mimans21

mimans21 Member

this site should have messenger so all the people can talk to each other. w/o waiting for a post to come up. Instant talking would help

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

3. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

And the commercial reality is that live chats don't generate page impressions and advertisers hate them. And we sorta need to pay to our ISP for these servers, unfortunately..

4. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Just needing to add another nail in the coffin of that idea -

Some pple just can't communicate via IM's and are indeed "cut out" of that stream of communication -

Just sitting on aD's mIRC channel is frustrating when you cannot participate - :(

5. Mr_Taz_UK

Mr_Taz_UK Regular member

Hey Pete, dont knock it, they have helped me so much.

irc.addictz.net:6667

#ad_buddies

:)

T

6. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Pete's not knocking it. He can further explain if he wishes to.

7. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Thanks Neph.

Yes, I'l endouver to elucidate, some pple don't find aD Buddies user friendly.

To participate, it's necessary to type relatively quickly. Those not able to do so are left by the wayside.
    You've said that aD Buddies has helped you. Could you say the same thing if you only typed 6 to 8 words a minute ? How would you fare ? Thank goodness there are words like, "I" "if" and "a" which count in your posting count :), sometimes, with their aid, a whopping 10-words a minute is possible.
    Some Admins have said they like IRC because they can, "get to know pple on a one to one basis." OK, so what do those pple do who can't participate do, well we watch. Is it a handicap ? In 1 word, Yep !

I would truly love to see your progress if you were so hampered. I'll give you a hint, the pple you're talking to will have moved on, to other pple and to other conversations. A full 2 minutes, maybe more, is a very long time on IRC to wait for an answer, pple just do not wait. Would you ?

Think on it seriously before you answer -

8. Mr_Taz_UK

Mr_Taz_UK Regular member

"Could you say the same thing if you only typed 6 to 8 words a minute ? How would you fare ? Thank goodness there are words like, "I" "if" and "a" which count in your posting count :), sometimes, with their aid, a whopping 10-words a minute is possible. "

If you are truly stuck, then you are willing to try all available resources.

If you are truly willing to help, then you are willing to wait, be patient and understanding.

The very fact that such a channel was set up is a credit to those invloved. I personally am greatfull for their effort, and spend time there myself, making myself available to help others.

Maybe I'm in the minority here but I am:

Patient, and willing to wait, help, and encourage those who are not so fortunate, computer literate, or otherwise held back from the solution they seek.

I honestly feel that Irc is a usefull extension to the already excellent service afforded by Afterdawn.

TY

9. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Good attitude, hopefully you won't lose it and will be a good aD ambassador -

10. Mr_Taz_UK

Mr_Taz_UK Regular member

11. Buik

Buik Regular member

Perhaps when voice recognition software is a little more advanced and speedier?

TC

12. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

I didn't say paralyzed, I said hampered -

Some pple do what they can do and keep hoping for improvement, telling them to forget the improvement and just master devices isn't the way to go - Should pple with arthritics or poor manual dexterity be forced to use voice recognition software simply in order to "keep up" with you ?

But we've gone off on a tangent and forgotten the topic - IRC is, by its nature, discriminatory. It's excellent for the vast majority who can type quickly but for those who do not - it's a hindrance. The forum is an equalizer for those who may need all night to write a post speaking with those who may need 30 seconds to address the same topic. mIRC should stay like it is, with the exception of relying upon it for advancement purposes. Let those who can use it, use it but, do not funnel pple away from the forum, nor advertise it, as it only enforces the fact that there are indeed second class citizens where there should be none.

That's just my opinion -

Cheers,