1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

InstantCopy Backup of Dvd Movies wont play on my DvD Player!!!!

Discussion in 'Copy DVD to DVDR' started by SPIKISH, Dec 4, 2004.

1. SPIKISH

SPIKISH Guest

ok i made a copy of goodfellas with instantcopy and i first ripped all files with dvd decryptor then i changed audio subtitles with instant copy and started converting and burning (which takes forever with instant copy, like 1hr 30min) anyways so i burn the movie and when i play it on my apex ad 1010w (which is an mp3 and mpeg player) it works fine. But when i try it on my Panasonic Dvd player it loads and then it says stop. Can anyone tell me if im doing something wrong maybe with the options or setting si wanna play this backup on my panasonic. Mind that with dvd shrink all my backups work fine on the panasonic. But the problem with shrink is that if i want to get rid of the extras i cant have no menu, but with instant copy i can get rid of extras and keep the menu, but now that i have this problem i dont know. Someone know of a better program that takes out extras w/o removing menu like instantcopy or can someone tell me what im doing wrong with my backups with instantcopy

Thanks guys

2. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Nero's recode 2, works the same as DVD Shrink (written by the same fellow) but leaves all your menus intact -

30-day, full program, FREE trial - recode2 is in an extra download, make sure you download it after you get the main proggy -

http://www.ahead.de/us/nero6-ultraedition.html

Enjoy,

Pete

3. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

SPIKISH

Instant copy takes so long because it's a two pass system. What media are you using?

Last edited: Dec 6, 2004
  4. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Just a slight addition: Nero's recode 2 also is capable of doing a dual pass (2x) Encoding to produce a better backup also -.

FYI, I did a backup of Goodfellows also using recode 2 (the reason I told you about it) and used recode 2's re-author mode. By doing so, I was able to take both sides and join them together "seamlessly" thereby saving the trouble of having to "flip" the disc 1/2 way through the movie. You'll find guides to help you get started in Nero's tutorials -

HINT: Use the Dual-pass method to obtain the best quality possible. This is a large project and requires all the help it can get to achive a satisfactory product at the end. (You might be pleasantly surprised at the finished result, I was - :)

Cheers,

Pete

5. SPIKISH

SPIKISH Guest

Thanks guys for the imput!!!! sorry for taking so long. finals suck big ones

sophocles the media i am using are memorex dvd-rs and tdk dvd-rs

Scubapete, thanks for the nero option, um okay something i did not comprehend and was wondering if you help me out. You said that you burned both sides on one, now are you talking about burning on dual layered dvd's dvd-dl???

Also one more question, knowing that goodfellas came with two dvds ( main movie and special features)is it possible to join the Goodfellas main movie and special features on one 4.7gb dvd-r and if so does the nero do it, If not, does anyone know from experience which program does???

Ok that was my last question ima leave yall alone now

tnanks
    one

6. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

The Goodfellows I have is a "Flipper". OR as you say, 2 discs but the movie is 1/2 on 1 disc and 1/2 on the second disc. I put the 2 halves on a single disc.

My Goodfellows was a total of 14 GB for just the movie - do you understand now ?

The disc I used was a single-layer disc -

Sorry, you have got to do some research on it - I'm not much good in explaining things at such a level. -

AFA your media -
    Memorex as an excellent example as DVD media goes, 90% of Memorex, made by CMC, is sub-standard as far as DVD backups are concerned, figures as high as 50% coasters have been reported (One member bought a stack of 50 and got 23 good burns.), not what I would call an impressive record. Memorex made a name for itself with their magnetic tapes (VHS and audio cassettes) and have been living off it ever since. There are 4 different companies that manufacture Memorex DVD's BTW and product quality varies widely as you might imagine. Only 10% of the Memorex out there, those are discs manufactured by Mitsubishi in the 25 pack spindle , and they're the exception – they are the good ones. It's easy to see now why the quality of a big-named company can’t be trusted - “ Who’s making your Memorex tonight ?”

Is it just Memorex ? No ! I just used Memorex as an example, Princo, Orange Pack, Great AZO and most "store" discs aren’t all that suitable as a DVD backup media – that’s why we are specific in the type of media we are recommending.

Orange Pack, Princo, Great AZO and 90% of Memorex plus many others are just not that good for DVD burning. Those same discs however, are quite good for your MP3 music, picture archives, Spread sheets and Data..Even DataSafe G04’s made by Ritek have been reported as an inferior quality media and are evoking that “Oh no, I shouldn’t have gotten those.”

A good grade, Hi-quality media is needed for DVD reproduction ! RiData, Sony, TDK, "Branded" Ritek G04's or "Branded" Verbatim Data Life, Verbatim DataLife plus, Taiyo Yuden's and generally, almost any discs manufactured by Mitsubishi or RICOH are excellent bets. Among the better discs we're looking for, any media boasting "Advanced Metal AZO" - BUT it must say "METAL" AZO !, this indicates a superior dye and dye application on a good composite disc, while they are sometimes a bit "pricey" they are just the type of media we're looking for to do our DVD backups, Prices online from Meritline.com OR Newegg.com have gotten Ritek G04 starting at about a $ .45 (USD) a disc –

For DVD backups, purchasing inexpensive media or even average media is a gamble, some people win BUT the majority lose, they lose varying amounts true but, they still lose :-(

Using good grade media can guarantee you one thing to an absolute certainty; it surely cannot hurt.
    In an effort to clear the air, when I speak of "Cheap" or "Inexpensive" media, I'm not referring to the price you pay at the counter - I'm referring to poor quality control used during manufacturing and the quality of the dye, dye application or composite type used. I'm not saying it won't burn - Some may burn, some may not. It's quality is inconsistent, meaning it's not dependable. To make matters worse, many times the discs that you do burn may play in your PC BUT your standalone player may not accept them – what good then is a backup DVD that cannot be watched on a DVD player ?

When I say "Branded," that means that when you pick up a disc in your hand, it says "Ritek" or "RiData" on the disc itself. The monetary cost of the media we recommend many times is cheaper than what you are purchasing now.

We like to verify our information prior to recommending things. There are certain things we look at. For instance, when their dye and dye application are listed as unknown, this almost guarantees us they are using whatever they can get at a cheap price. Companies that use quality materials like to BRAG about it, naming names and staying with quality manufacturers who produce their media.

Perhaps that explains our stand on media -

Cheers,

Pete

7. SPIKISH

SPIKISH Guest

cool, gotta get up on that research

thanks scuba

8. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

No worries, with knowledge ther begets light :)

Cheers,

9. SPIKISH

SPIKISH Guest

just like A. Malkovich said,

" he who does not worry shall be overcomed with filth, therefore walk your own path of garbage "

lol always liked that quote

ONE

10. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

An interesting quote, that . . . .

11. pulsar

pulsar Active member

Scuba,
    Quote;

FYI, I did a backup of Goodfellows also using recode 2 (the reason I told you about it) and used recode 2's re-author mode. By doing so, I was able to take both sides and join them together "seamlessly" thereby saving the trouble of having to "flip" the disc 1/2 way through the movie. You'll find guides to help you get started in Nero's tutorials -

HINT: Use the Dual-pass method to obtain the best quality possible. This is a large project and requires all the help it can get to achive a satisfactory product at the end. (You might be pleasantly surprised at the finished result, I was - :)

Hmm, I have recode2, I am really a dumb ass (!!) though, where is the reauthor tool? I would also like to put Goodfellas onto one dvd.
    I am so sorry to ask such a stupid question.
    Forgive me father for I have sinned!!

12. pulsar

pulsar Active member

OK, is it in the remake dvd bit?

13. pulsar

pulsar Active member

Ah CRAP, I guess the best way is to have a go.

14. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

It's under "Remake DVD" It will be easy, you'll see -

(BTW, Your forgiven, (Lol))

15. pulsar

pulsar Active member

I tried it, on my first attempt the film burnt the wrong way round (i.e. it played the second bit first) LOL
    I will give it another go!!
    NICE!!

16. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hey there Pulsar,

You're not alone - I did the same thing the first time I tried (Lol)

You'll do fine, I've got confidence in you -

Burn on . . . .

"P"

17. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

For recode it's "remake a dvd." I don't think that dimad has gotten over the title (He's the author of DVD remake, an authoring software).

18. pulsar

pulsar Active member

Quote:

"You'll do fine, I've got confidence in you -"

Cheers Buddy, you really are a nice person. Why is the rest of the world not like you?

19. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

The mere thought of that makes my skin crawl (Lol)

SEASONS GREETINGS,

Pete