1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Instruct the Ignorant

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by ImpulseX, Feb 25, 2005.

1. ImpulseX

ImpulseX Member

Hey, I've got several questions. I used to use p2p, way back, and now im using newsgroups. I've recently downloaded Azureus to try out torrents. Newsgroups are great, but they are only up for so long, and you can't always find what you want. Here's a list of questions.

1) I thought Azureus looked pretty nice, and heard good about it too, are there any better BT programs?

2) I know nothing about BTorrents, are they safe? People can't just screw with my computer can they? :p

3) I basicly did the default settings for Azureus, good? Or are there things I should change.

4) I know suprnova.org is gone, and there is mininova.org and isohunter.com, but are there any real good sites like suprnova was?

5) Security issues with Torrents, downloading uploading etc...any plugins I should install, etc.

6) Im totally new to this, and I want an expert to please inform me on how I should set this up. I want to be using the best program, have everything configured correctly, and be safe, along with anything else you think would be good. Set me up with perfeciton :p.

7) If there's any ways to speed up my downloads, let me know.

I know thats alot, and alot of them go hand in hand, sorta. I just want to have every thing setup correctly, and good. So I can download fast, be secure, etc. Im sure some of you have been downloading torrents for a few years and would know what to do. Also, recently while I've been searching torrent sites, I've been noticing...I've been getting popups...In firefox... That's never happend to me before, makes me wonder.

Tell me anything else you think I should know, everything. Thanks, oh, btw, im on a wireless dsl connection. Oo, also popups started after I downloaded one application, visual c++ 6.0 which didn't work.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2005
  2. Toiletman

Toiletman Active member

1. Azureus is one of the best out there. I use it myself.

2. Depends on what sites you get it from, but generally it's safe.

3. Read the guide our godly Dela has written! =D

4. www.theisohunt.com - Excellent search engine
    http://www.thepiratebay.org/frame.html - The new "Suprnova", you'll get by the Swedish!

5. PeerGuardian 2

6 + 7. Read the guide! =D

3. ImpulseX

ImpulseX Member

I've run into another problem. My dad is my ISP, he hates bit torrent and forbids the use of them by both his clients, and now me. I figured this out when I asked him to open up ports 6881-6899. I'm still able to download, just very slow. Im trying to download a .5 gig file, and I've been doing this for almost a whole day now. I didn't read the guide yet, but I have read a bit via google. Can you instruct me in a way to get around this? I have no access the the router. I'm pretty sure you can change the ports Azureus uses, can you tell me how and what port I should change it too? Or another way around this annoying problem.

Thanks,
    ImpulseX

4. Toiletman

Toiletman Active member

Try using port 53000 and opening that instead...

He's made out of wires?! =D

5. Mr_Taz_UK

Mr_Taz_UK Regular member

Whatever you do, don’t use any of the following ports for torrents, ISP's are getting smarter and restricting bandwidth on these ports.

Direct Connect 411 - 413
    Kazaa 1214
    eDonkey 4662
    Gnutella 6346 - 6347
    WinMX 6699
    BitTorrent 6881 - 6889

I recommend using a group of approx 10 ports (ish, one for each torrent) in the range 49152 through 65535, don’t forget your port forwarding (if you have a router) else torrent tracker may well reject your connection request. Some will also block you if you are using ports in the banned / restricted bandwidth range.

[edit]

Use a firewall testing site to see which ports are left open

:eek:)

Last edited: Feb 27, 2005
  6. ImpulseX

ImpulseX Member

Tolietman...I can't open any ports, I don't have access to the router, I was asking if you knew of any ports that should work and are alrdy opened, generally, that I could use instead.

I did a common port scan, everything said "secure". [insert #], for my ftp, said that also...Is that why it takes me so long to upload/download via ftp?

[Edit] How would I change the port Azureus uses? Im really restricted to as what I can do =(.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2005
  7. Toiletman

Toiletman Active member

Don't worry, I'm pretty sure Azureus opens up the ports automatically for you! =D Another great feature of Azureus.

Go to... Tools > Options, pretty straightforward from there.

8. Mr_Taz_UK

Mr_Taz_UK Regular member

Not if there is a firewall / router in the way. and the admin of those is against it

Last edited: Feb 28, 2005