1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Instructions: Play backups with Action Replay Max cheats enabled!!

Discussion in 'PS2' started by lackyno, Feb 19, 2007.

1. lackyno

lackyno Regular member

You need:

- Action Replay Max
    - CDLoader (either on a disc or as an .elf file)
    - an original big TOC PS2 game

and these are the steps:

1. For force-swapping, meaning you swap the disc while it's still spinning, load ARMAX up normally, select cheats and press Start.

At the "Ensure your game disc is inserted" screen, pull out the tray and swap it with your CDLoader disc. It should boot up.

Once it has, press Eject and refresh TOC with an original game. Press X and at the "Use EA Method" screen, pull out the tray and swap it for your backup.

Or, and this is a better way because it doesn't involve pulling the tray out while the disc is still spinning...

2. Read the ARMAX manual on how to create a bootable disc which can be booted through the Media Player function. Put only the CDLoader.elf file on it, which you have to rename to autoexec.elf.

Once you have burnt your disc, load ARMAX up normally, select cheats and press Start. At the "Ensure your game disc is inserted" screen, press Eject but don't take out your ARMAX disc yet. Instead, press Eject again to close the tray.

Let ARMAX boot up again, and this time, go straight to its Media Player function. Once that has loaded, press Eject and put in your created "bootable disc". CDLoader should boot up.

Once it has, just follow the above instructions and go through the refresh TOC process.

Both methods were from my own ideas and have been tested by me on my fat PS2 console.

2. BIGnewb

BIGnewb Guest

but does it work better than swap magic because im confused already?do i need a flip top or slide card?does it boot the newer games?

3. lackyno

lackyno Regular member

For me, Swap Magic Coder 3.8 did not work when I used ARMAX cheats. I asked around in the forums to see if maybe versions 3.6 and earlier would work with ARMAX cheats but never really got a proper answer. After getting quite frustrated with my Coder 3.8, I sold it and proceeded to experiment with CDLoader. Thus, these two methods were born...

Maybe, maybe not. If you can get ARMAX cheats to work with your Swap Magic then great for you, you don't need this.

Up to you really. A flip top is probably more handy and easier to swap discs in and out, but it costs money and you have to remove the PS2 cover. I personally use the slide card method.

What games do you mean by newer games?

4. CrazH

CrazH Member

Hey mate, i am having trouble with the media player, it freezes when i try to use my FFXII codes and when i try to boot cdloader off disc or by usb (my idea) it just sorta goes black but you can still read the writing :S Any ideas?

5. bhee

bhee Regular member

6. lackyno

lackyno Regular member

CrazH,

I had that problem too. Reason is: The CDLoader.elf file you've got is not quite compatible with the ARMAX Media Player. I had to try like 4-5 different .elf files before I finally got it to boot.

Try downloading this one:

http://www.geocities.com/jjax1975/CDLOADER.zip

Also, burn it at the slowest speed your burner allows, and don't forget to rename the file to autoexec.elf.

7. lackyno

lackyno Regular member

bhee,

That's why I recommend using the 2nd method as it does not involve "force-swapping".

8. xhardc0re

xhardc0re Guest

@lackyno: i see you have a FAT PS2. How would this guide be different with a slim? When i use my AR Max with non-backups (silvers/originals), i have to remove Tool C at the back of the slim to make the ARmax know the fliptop has opened. There is no way (that i know of atleast) to use an ARmax with a slim/fliptop without removing Tool C. For people who don't know, to use a swapmagic on a slim PS2, you need to block 3 sensors:
    Sensor A: front right of machine, behind power button
    Sensor B/Disc brake: Stop the little break on the DVD platter
    Sensor C: Back left hinge, on the right side (where metal clip is)
    *all the above are easily accomplished using electrical tape (A/B) and tissue or paperclip with taped end for Sensor C

9. lackyno

lackyno Regular member

xhardc0re,

I don't have a Slim PS2 so I can't test any of these methods physically, but I assume the steps would be similar.

Method 1: with a fliptop or a Slim PS2 where the lid stays open, you could just use your fingers and take the disc out while it's still spinning. This would be easier than pulling the tray out on a Fat PS2 while the disc is still spinning.

Method 2: I guess the only change here would be instead of pressing the Eject button, you would need to remove Tool C, like you said.

However, you can also try this: Once you have selected your ARMAX cheats and are at the "Ensure your game disc is inserted", instead of pulling the tray out or removing Tool C, just leave your ARMAX disc in there and press X. This should reload the ARMAX disc again for you to go into its Media Player function...

(off topic) by the way, how did you go about creating your sig?